• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mirroring IDE to SATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigsexy

Hi folks.

I just ordered a SATA hdd (WD2000JD).

Is it possible to copy (mirror) my old IDE (primary master) (80gb maxtor) 1:1 on the new SATA?
Including boot sector etc. that I don´t have to reinstall Windows and all the other stuff once again??

Thank you!

Bigsexy

Oh and btw.: Is it really no problem to run both - IDE and SATA at the same time? (in future: my new SATA WD 200gb + my old IDE WD 160gb)

Running SATA and IDE at the same time is amazingly easy :)

SHouldn't have a problem with it :)

PATA to SATA Mirror

You mentioned that you used "Lifeguard" software. Is that the name of the product. I have a PATA drive today and I want to install SATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Then I want to copy the contents of my PATA drive to the RAID drives. Then boot the RAID drives as my primary. I need to find some software to setup the RAID 0 for boot and then copy the PATA data to the SATA data.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

RAYOQ said:
You mentioned that you used "Lifeguard" software. Is that the name of the product. I have a PATA drive today and I want to install SATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Then I want to copy the contents of my PATA drive to the RAID drives. Then boot the RAID drives as my primary. I need to find some software to setup the RAID 0 for boot and then copy the PATA data to the SATA data.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Lifeguard is by WD and Maxblast is by Maxtor.You can find them in the utilities section of their websites.Both work well for what you want to do.I usually use the one from the manufacturer of the drive I am copying to_Other manufacturers probably have similar software and most retail drives ship with it included in the package.

Back