• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo retention frame not compatible with zalman

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp3llz

Registered
Hey, I noticed that the zalman 9700 nt fans frames dont fit on my MSI 790fx GD70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

I currently have Phenom II x 4 955 on its way to my house.

The frames that came in the box of the zalman fan were to small, and the larger frames that came free were too big! I dont know how to install the fan on my amd mobo, can someone please help me? I also looked on the zalman website and it sais that amd sockets require stock retention frame.

I don't think you need the frames for your board I think those are for Intel mobo's. Your package should have a long metal piece that looks kinda like a skeleton key at one end, with a L at the other slide this through the heat pipes secure the L to the little hook on your mobo. Then there should be a little L in the package that connects near the skeleton key part that clips onto the other hook on the opposite side. this should secure the cooler to the chip/mobo.

TO GVGUY

This is message to GVGUY.How is your PC.I am building same config.Although the processor is 1100T ,but same motherboard.What CPU Fan are you using?
I am planing Zalman but my pc is only 202mm Wide so i have limited choice on what CPU Fan i can put.Do you know what is the minimum distance that i have to leave between chassis and the top of the CPU FAN(Zalman CNPS x10 extreme)?
Thanks

yes no back plate needed on the amd boards other than the one already on the board.

This is message to GVGUY.How is your PC.I am building same config.Although the processor is 1100T ,but same motherboard.What CPU Fan are you using?
I am planing Zalman but my pc is only 202mm Wide so i have limited choice on what CPU Fan i can put.Do you know what is the minimum distance that i have to leave between chassis and the top of the CPU FAN(Zalman CNPS x10 extreme)?
Thanks
:welcome: to OCF!
I'll answer this one question but if you have more comments or questions please start your own thread instead of thread-jacking someone else's. ;)

All 120mm tower coolers, like the CNPS x10, require at least an ~8" (203 mm) overall case width. Distances between the motherboard mounting plate and the right side of the case vary by case and the motherboard stand-offs can be different as well. Zalman lists the heatsink height as 160 mm. Since your case is so close to the accepted limit you will need to measure the clearance after you have the motherboard and CPU installed to see if there's enough room. Please note, it's the case and the motherboard stand-offs used for installation that make the difference, not the board or the CPU.

Back