• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modest build for office use and engineering software - 800 USD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

easygonzales

what do you guys think? this is for my office. we don't play games but run demanding software for engineering calculations and analysis. i will use my existing DVD-r, GFORCE GT610 (had to make a sacrifice due to budget concerns) and 1 tb hdd for archiving purposes. does anybody see bottle-necking or incompatibility issues? I am a little concerned about the size of the CPU cooler not fitting in this case.

Phanteks Eclipse Series P400S Silent Edition, Steel ATX Tower Case Anthracite Grey PH-EC416PSW_AG

$74.99

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

$35.97

Intel Core I5-6600K with ASUS Z170-A Motherboard Bundle

$385.97

Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 - Silent CPU Air Cooler with 6 Direct Contact Heatpipes and Folding Fin Structure RR-H6V2-13PK-R​1

$37.99

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM​) & Corsair Dual SSD Mounting Bracket 3.5" Bundle

$175.94

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit - Black

$99.99

Last edited:
Given that this is for actual work at an office, might I suggest a more professional looking case?

41-ICb1ZbyL._SX466_.jpg

Antec P280 is also a silent case. There is also the cheaper P100.

That build should be fine. Check the max cooler height for the case you selected in the case specs on their website. The 6600K has more powerful graphics baked in vs the discrete GPU you want to use. You might want a bit more of a beefy power supply given the mission critical role of this machine. Maybe an EVGA G2 or a Seasonic SSR-G?

Also you might want to consider a quad core xeon or i7 instead of the 6600K which only has 4 threads to the xeon/i7's 8. Those chips also have an extra 2MB of cache.

And if you were considering overclocking, you can do that, but generally, one does not overclock mission critical machines. Speaking of which, going with a CPU/platform/RAM that will enable RAM ECC is probably a good idea here. As is going with an SSD that uses SLC instead of MLC or TLC. It sounds more like you need a workstation than a personal computer.

This thread is giving me a big fat "huh???"

1) Theres no such thing as "engineering software". Are you doing (P)FMEA simulations? Are you running 3d rendered CAD? Are you developing? Are you running simulations via VM's? Are you doing electrical analytics? Are you doing hydraulic/pneumatic simulations? Are you doing PLC? "engineering software" is about as defining as "recommend me a car for uses".

2) you claim you're "on a budget". Are you the OWNER of the company? Considering most licenses for "engineering software" that I use costs thousands and thousands of dollars, the places I've worked provide me with competent hardware to use the software viably. A gt 610 implies some SERIOUSLY old programs. I cant imagine late version solidworks even working with a gt 610, at least not with 3d renders. Maybe 2d, but then its not as "intensive" as you imply.

3) you claim you're "on a budget" but choosing a 180$ SSD when in all likely-hood you're using NAS (every place I've ever worked uses NAS....) . Why? I could see maybe a 120 ish gb boot SSD to save time on boots, but I cant understand your choice there.

4) 16gb of 3200 ram? why? What rationale are you using here?

5) gaming case? Why? What rationale are you using here?

6) i5 is actually probably an appropriate choice. I'll let you post why you think it is

7) wheres your motherboard?

8) then pick a smaller cooler???

Sorry man, but your uses and proposed build have a lot of conflicting things setting off the :bs:

edit: basically, the questions boil down to "why are YOU paying for this". [not knowing what software youre trying to use doesnt help us. plenty of engineers here]

Last edited:
Also you might want to consider a quad core xeon or i7 instead of the 6600K which only has 4 threads to the xeon/i7's 8. Those chips also have an extra 2MB of cache.

And if you were considering overclocking, you can do that, but generally, one does not overclock mission critical machines. Speaking of which, going with a CPU/platform/RAM that will enable RAM ECC is probably a good idea here. As is going with an SSD that uses SLC instead of MLC or TLC. It sounds more like you need a workstation than a personal computer.

Most (*cough*) "engineering software" will see no benefit from hyperthreading. In some cases, like solidworks, hyperthreading has a negative result vs clock speed. Physical cores will help, but hes "on a budget". i5 was actually the best choice.

edit: rendering times will of course, benefit from hyperthreading lol. If you're spending more time rendering than doing productivity though, something is off

Thank you buddy. I didn't want to drown you in details and steal your time and i didn't know there were plenty of engineers, hence the lack of details. my reasoning or lack thereof between your comments:

This thread is giving me a big fat "huh???"

1) Theres no such thing as "engineering software". Are you doing (P)FMEA simulations? Are you running 3d rendered CAD? Are you developing? Are you running simulations via VM's? Are you doing electrical analytics? Are you doing hydraulic/pneumatic simulations? Are you doing PLC? "engineering software" is about as defining as "recommend me a car for uses".

it is a rather specialized suite of tools or two. drilling engineering and may need to run reservoir modelling software such as https://www.software.slb.com/products/petrel/petrel-2015 , when idle like weekends (at times additional FEL and FE -finite element- analysis may be required with another software). May also need to run monte carlo analysis with excel or specialized software like crystal ball. We haven't purchased the software suite yet, hopefully early next year. but my 5 year old desktop is giving up and i don't want to settle for a minor upgrade and require another upgrade in 6 months.

this was from petrel's 2014 system requirements. i don't want to contact them at this point for an update because they hook the software peddler to you sand is annoying to deal with.

Capture.PNG

2) you claim you're "on a budget". Are you the OWNER of the company? Considering most licenses for "engineering software" that I use costs thousands and thousands of dollars, the places I've worked provide me with competent hardware to use the software viably. A gt 610 implies some SERIOUSLY old programs. I cant imagine late version solidworks even working with a gt 610, at least not with 3d renders. Maybe 2d, but then its not as "intensive" as you imply.

I am a drilling engineer and this will be my standalone desktop computer, it wont be dedicated to running the softwares alone. i don't think i will be allowed over 1000 for this desktop. so i''ll need to modify a system free of bottlenecks

3) you claim you're "on a budget" but choosing a 180$ SSD when in all likely-hood you're using NAS (every place I've ever worked uses NAS....) . Why? I could see maybe a 120 ish gb boot SSD to save time on boots, but I cant understand your choice there.

there wasnt much difference between 256 and 500 sd and i wanted a solid drivbe. i'll be using my old hard drive to back ups and as you guessed, used the ssd for speding up booting and i was hopin better read write times to speed up the software, i may be wrong.

4) 16gb of 3200 ram? why? What rationale are you using here?

simialr to the one above. it wasnt much higher than the 2000s. i was planning to purchase 16 now and 16 later when i install the software.

5) gaming case? Why? What rationale are you using here?

no rationale here. need to be able to fit the air cooler so i figured i needed some space. what is a better alternative?

6) i5 is actually probably an appropriate choice. I'll let you post why you think it is

7) wheres your motherboard?

it is bundled with the cpu (Intel Core I5-6600K with ASUS Z170-A Motherboard Bundle - from amazon)

8) then pick a smaller cooler???

i picked AMD Octa-core FX-8370 4GHz Desktop Processor with Wraith Cooler, Black Edition FD8370FRHKHBX for my home desktop back in june and the cpu runs at 80-90 celcius while i play GTA V . i wanted to get a better cooler to avoid overheating. again, alternatives very welcome. i am hesitant about the water coolers due to the leaking issue.

Sorry man, but your uses and proposed build have a lot of conflicting things setting off the :bs:

no offense taken, in fact i appreciate the attention very much. thank you.

edit: basically, the questions boil down to "why are YOU paying for this". [not knowing what software you're trying to use doesn't help us. plenty of engineers here]

i am not paying. it will be the property of the company - but they requested not to exceed 1000 too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Hey cool, thanks for clarifying!

I'd say unless someone here is familiar with petrel, you really should be going to the vendor for some of these questions. I'd be willing to bet money that upgrading the graphics card to a quadro gpu would greatly improve your work flow. Especially with upgrading to a newer software, it really might be prudent to try and convince them to increase your budget.

As it stands, I wish I could help you precisely, but it's hard to say for sure what you "need" vs other things. Off the bat, I'd say a 10 core xeon and K6000 would be ideal here, but obviously that laughably exceeds any budget you have. The drivers for a quadro card are obviously going to be different.

Questions for the vendor

1) does hyperthreading specifically increase productivity or just render times
2) does petrel benefit from double precision
3) does ram SPEED or does ram AMOUNT matter more

I would be remiss to make any recommendation here. Some software is bonkers and very particular to what hardware you use. The only thing I ill say is, you dont need that SSD. A sata will give you all the performance you need at this time, and will soften the budget considerably.

you can buy lower spec quadros, used pretty cheap.
a k5000 quadro can be replaced with a Kepler titan or 780ti if you're really squeezed, much less vram may bottleneck you.
thinking about it a 980 might just be the best fit for you.

scratch that, a k2200 looks to be the best fit at a tad over $300.

Last edited:
That program might very well actually benefit from quadro vs a "better" gtx card.

for the specs, I honestly dont see a gt 610 even working, much less being "nice" to use.

10-4. I will probably run off of a cpu/board GPU and ask for an extension of the budget to when we start using the software. and probably use the current budget to get a better CPU. Thanks much everbody.

10-4. I will probably run off of a cpu/board GPU and ask for an extension of the budget to when we start using the software. and probably use the current budget to get a better CPU. Thanks much everbody.

that sounds like a great plan.

Back