• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Monitor Won't Turn back on From Power Down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
I use the 'power down' method for HD's and monitor (W10) after 10 minutes and no matter what I try the monitor won't come back on. It's to the point that a 'reset' is required. I've turned off the 'power down' 10 minutes for the monitor now and just turn it off and and on all works fine. I avoid 'sleep' and 'hibernate.'

Any ideas (the 6600K in my sig)?

I use Hibernate exclusively now after I learned it uses 0 power (sleep is useless imho). I only shut down if I need to. Nice as I don't have to constantly retype my password managers (passwordsafe)) password. Plus you can basically hit the hibernate command and just walk away and when you come back up, it's like you were never gone. I use a little exe (power plan switcher-sourceforge, 7 & vista) that sits in my tray with access to all 3 basic power modes. High Performance: hd's never shut off, allow hybrid sleep, monitor sleeps after 5min. Balanced: hd's off after 5min, allow hybrid sleep, monitor off NEVER. Power save: monitor off after 5min, hd's off after 9min, (allow hybrid sleep) hibernate after 10min.
I am a stickler for monitoring running processes so that nothing runs unless necessary, including startup items. If I had my way, I'd run my pc off a solar panel connected to a battery bank.
I would play around with your power settings and see what can be done. Dell is a pretty solid manufacturer so it's got to be the pc's settings in one way or another. I think possibly the powerplan.exe (I renamed it and gave it a cool icon using resourcehacker) may not work under 10 but don't really know and don't want to find out too soon lol.

Last edited:
I decided to do some routine maintenance so I replaced a defective SATA SSD cable that was not always allowing my to SSD boot into Windows on occasion and I'm wondering whether that was the source of no wake-up monitor from a 'power-down?' I don't see a relationship between the two but stranger things have happened over the years. I'll find out soon...........

Good Work!

Failing HDD's/SSD's and cables have been the cause of weird symptoms for me in the past. Glad you figured it out.

Last edited:
Back