• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More POWAH!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I've been promising more power for months now. Up to this point it has all been talk. I mean, I bought the equipment but its not working right.

I have three R9-280x's but only one is installed. In the mean time, my 660Ti stopped working.

I bought a new MB to run all three 280x's. The middle PCIe isn't working. I put the MB into a brand new, really nice case. Unfortunately, the third PCIe slot is blocked by the power supply. So I invested $$$ in to the fold and have less than zero return because my working cards are dying. I haven't had the time, money or energy to address the issues.

Fast forward to yesterday. I purchased yet another new case. This time a full-tower with the room I need for all three cards. I'll give the MB another chance to work but hopefully this will at least get me two of the 280x's running up to full speed. If the MB is still a problem, then I'll still be down while I source a replacement.

Time frame for the new case is probably two weeks.

:salute:

I feel your pain, have new stuff just no time to set it up. been having issues with 2 of my 280x's lately also. time to get things sorted out.

I found that my 560Ti is working in my main gaming rig. It would not work in two other machines. So I got that going now. I may be speaking too soon on that. I just got word last night that I have an AMD 7970 comming my way for free. The machine it is in now took an electric hit so I will have to assess what's wrong but the parts are all mine. If it works, it will go into the fold.

My new case should be in tomorrow. I probably won't do anything with it until the weekend. Hopefully I'll get all three 280x's up and going.

I looked up my dead 660 Ti. Good news, its still under warranty. I'll get that started tonight. I tried to get it going this weekend but its truly dead. No worries.

My 560Ti and 770 on a core i7-920 are only making about 60k ppd. Is that right?

Last edited:
I've been promising more power for months now. Up to this point it has all been talk. I mean, I bought the equipment but its not working right.

I have three R9-280x's but only one is installed. In the mean time, my 660Ti stopped working.

I bought a new MB to run all three 280x's. The middle PCIe isn't working. I put the MB into a brand new, really nice case. Unfortunately, the third PCIe slot is blocked by the power supply. So I invested $$$ in to the fold and have less than zero return because my working cards are dying. I haven't had the time, money or energy to address the issues.

Fast forward to yesterday. I purchased yet another new case. This time a full-tower with the room I need for all three cards. I'll give the MB another chance to work but hopefully this will at least get me two of the 280x's running up to full speed. If the MB is still a problem, then I'll still be down while I source a replacement.

Time frame for the new case is probably two weeks.

:salute:

Just get a powered x16 -> x16 Pcie riser!
Bitcoin miners (used to) use them all the time.

It'll work for folding too.

Unless you get all 3 cards in the slots - then you don't need this :p

Alright alright alright. Here's what I have for an update.

After working on the MB that I have slated for the tri-Xfire, I got two of the R9-280X's going. This is big for me. Unfortunately, the machine is not located in a room that I can fold in. This rig generates too much heat and too much noise.

I started to unpack the other case that I bought. I decieded to try my hand at a case review so that is going a little slower than normal. Once I get everything moved into there, I should be able to fit the third card into the MB which I can't do now.

Then, I have to pick up the 7970 that my uncle donated to me and install that. I should be hitting big points before we get in to full blown winter.

you are going to run 3 280x cards, correct.
to fold on them do you crossfire them?
do you not crossfire them?
I just picked up two 7970's and they are much unhappy in crossfire, but my asus card folds real sweet, ..............as long as it's the only one in the rig.

you are going to run 3 280x cards, correct.
to fold on them do you crossfire them?
do you not crossfire them?
I just picked up two 7970's and they are much unhappy in crossfire, but my asus card folds real sweet, ..............as long as it's the only one in the rig.

That's weird Caddi :sly:

I don't think F@H would benefit from X-fire. At least, I've never tried it anyway....

I do not have them x-fired at the moment. I'm not sure how I will run them when the build is 100% done. Since I won't be using that machine for anything other than folding, I may not. Folding is GPU independent I believe. In other words, I don't see that the cards can "share" the work load. They each will fold thier own WU.

Last edited:
I have run both of mine in crossfire or with it disabled, they run the same either way, crossfire doesn't help or hurt folding, at least on my machine.

do you have a 280x card folding now?

I have a single 280x running in my SBS 2008 rig. The driver for SBS 2008 is not the best for folding but it is running.

My dedicated rig is running two 280x's but they are not in X-fire. Presently, I am only running it while my wife and I are out of the house at work. Today will be the first day of that. We will see what kind of ppd that gives me.

both of my 7970 cards fold fine but, every so often they just fall to idle for 10-20 seconds and then they go right back to work, are you seeing anything like this?
it is not temp related, they both fold at 1100 in the high 60's.

both of my 7970 cards fold fine but, every so often they just fall to idle for 10-20 seconds and then they go right back to work, are you seeing anything like this?
it is not temp related, they both fold at 1100 in the high 60's.

I've not been folding with these long enough or watched them close enough to know. I'm still working on getting them up and running.

The bad news is that my little experiment didn't last too long. I came home and our little office are was dark. As was the master bed and bath rooms. That's the problem. When they built the house, all three of these rooms are on the same circut. I reset the breaker and moved the current machine into the basement. There it will be on a dedicated circut isolated from other devices. This circut only has my server, switch, modem, router and a single monitor. That's all. I should start to see some points this week.

Bad news, again. I put the partially built dedicated folding rig in the basement next to my Server machine, 24 port gigabit switch and patch panel. It was running when I left it. I got up this morning and the machine was still running, FAH was not. I restarted FAH and nothing. I restarted the machine and nothing. I'll have to find time later this week to look at it more closely. For now, its another set back.

Was the work unit still counting up the percentage but the card at idle? Reason I ask, I have this issue occasionally,
Generally when it happens its because the drivers crashed causing the card to go idle.

Was the work unit still counting up the percentage but the card at idle? Reason I ask, I have this issue occasionally,
Generally when it happens its because the drivers crashed causing the card to go idle.

FAH was running in my services list. My CPU and GPU's were all idle and cool as if they had been idle for some time. The panel showed that they were all "ready" but nothing was happening.

same issue with me. the only difference I have is I seem to get to 99.9% and then the wu hangs. gpu driver fails. reloaded amd 14.9 drivers repeatedly 3 times and issue is gone for now. seems most prevalent on a 13000 wu.

I had to use drivers in the 13's to get the 7970's going smoothly.
I also found that a little excess vcore on the pea shooter cpu helped.

Back