• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAHawk

Registered
Building a new rig. Going with the new Intel i9 9900k. Now down to the motherboard. I have narrowed it down to ASRock Taichi Ultimate, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultimate and possibly the Asus ROG Maximus XI Code.
Leaning towards the Gigabyte.
Would like to know mostly about product quality and reliability. All seem pretty similar. My past build and current computer are Asus motherboards.
I am not an overclocker because it seemed way to complicated but could try it. Seems like manufacturers have made it a little easier.

After I choose my board then would like help with memory, now that’s a nightmare :bang head

Thank you

They are all similar. It really comes down to price/budget, features needed, and looks. I would honestly go with the cheapest one assuming they look ok and have the features you need/want.

RE: RAM, like mobos, don't make that more difficult than it needs to be. Unless you are benchmarking, RAM in the 3200 range running CAS 14/15 is a sweet spot between price and performance.

If you're not planning on overclocking then all three of those boards would qualify as overkill. As far as quality goes I've killed ASRock and Asus boards but that's not a bad mark on them. I was exceeding the manufactured limits and knew the risk. My Gigabyte is still going but I'm aware it's just a matter of time for her too. It's just the nature of the business.

Thank you for the help and advice. Yes i know all of these are probably overkill but my current rig is about 7 years old and it is starting to show its age. It lasted this long because I went overboard building it and hope to do the same thing with the new one.
I have decided to go with the Gigabyte MoBo. So now a few other questions. Back to RAM NewEgg is offering a combo package the board, Gigabyte AORUS RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) with Additional 2 Sticks of Demo Kit, Desktop Memory Model GP-AR32C16S8K2SU416R. First heard anything about Gigabyte RAM?

Second what is a Demo Kit? When it comes to RAM, I am looking to install 32GB, is it better to have 4 8GB or 2 16GB?
Now this processor does not come with a cooler, been looking at AIO coolers, Coolmaster, Corsair and NZXT. I do not necessarily have to with a water system but fan based take up a lot of room. Again I am sure just like the MoBo it is up to preference and I have been looking at reviews and they are all over the place. Would just like your thoughts on them. If I decide to go with an AIO how much better of a cooling effect does a 2/3 fan system have over a 1 fan system. Does any one know how much cooling this processor needs? This will also determine which cooler to go with.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I would go with 2 16gb RAM modules if the mobo will support 16gb in each slot. It will be cheaper and put a little less stress on the IMC.

Demo kits I would guess would have been taken out of the original packaging and used in a demonstration computer. It's like buying a demo model TV.

If you go with AIO water cooling make sure you choose a case that has room for the radiator of the water system you intend to get.

Actually I'm pretty sure a demo kit is simply a nicer way to say dummy kit. They are strickly for aesthetics so you're board looks filled with ram. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has used these before.

I'll second what Trents was saying about the 2x16GB ram.

As far as the cooler goes, Most high end air coolers will perform about as well as a quality CLC/AIO. The i9-9900k is a 95W CPU so will run a little hotter than say my i7-4790k. With that said I would go with the Corsair Hydro H150i if you can fit a 360mm radiator in your case. If not than the EVGA CLC 280mm or Corsair H115i are both great choices as well. If you decide to go air over water than Noctua NH D15 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Ram Question
So I went to the Gigabyte web site and looked at the recommended RAM for this motherboard and downloaded the pdf. I also went to PCPartspicker.com and made a parts list for the build. When it came to choosing RAM the list of compatible RAM, there are a lot more options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&Z=32768002&sort=name&m=11,17

I am going to use 3200 2x16 sticking with either G-Skill or Corsair.

From the PCPartsPicker list would any of these work, or should I stick with the recommended RAM from Gigabyte?

Thank you

Also thank you for suggesting the EVGA AIO, looks like a nice unit.

Especially with Intel CPU, no need to give much thought to the mobo manufacturer's RAM compatibility list unless perhaps you are intending to use super high frequency memory. Most any of it will be just fine otherwise.

Especially with Intel CPU, no need to give much thought to the mobo manufacturer's RAM compatibility list unless perhaps you are intending to use super high frequency memory. Most any of it will be just fine otherwise.
This^^^^

Has Intel fone the way of dual channel instead of quad? When I install RAM, I like to take full advantage of the number of channels on the MB.

Has Intel fone the way of dual channel instead of quad? When I install RAM, I like to take full advantage of the number of channels on the MB.
Not sure what you are asking here...Z390 is the mainstream platform which has been dual channel since its inception. HEDT/X299 is quad channel.

It depends on the platform. If one buys a quad ch. platform, then one should get four sticks for quad. If one buys dual, get 2 sticks... I agree.

Not sure what you are asking here...Z390 is the mainstream platform which has been dual channel since its inception. HEDT/X299 is quad channel.

It depends on the platform. If one buys a quad ch. platform, then one should get four sticks for quad. If one buys dual, get 2 sticks... I agree.

That is exactly where I was going. However, I'm still on skt 1366 with 3 channel so I lost track of how many channels are standard any more.

Hey I changed my mind and went with the ASRock Taichung Ultimate has
According to ASRock the6 list this as one of the types of RAM that’s works with this board

F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

I ended up buying this cause I wanted 32Gb as mentioned earlier

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

Now I assume the only difference is, one is an 8Gb stick and the other is a 16Gb stick, so what I bought will work.

Thank you

yes the first is a 2x8gb kit and the second is a 2x16gb kit. they should work together as long as the timings are the same or similiar.

Thanks,
That is what I figured. Getting the correct RAM is such a pain in the A$$

Back