• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Flight Simulator 2004

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xaeron

I bought this game on Saturday, so I've had enough time to come to an opinion on it. If you are a flight sim fan, then this is a MUST! Now, I'm not a giant flight sim buff. I don't know what every button and lever on the plane does, but I know quite a bit and it fits me perfectly. There are settings for every style of player. I love the selection of planes and jets (even a couple choppers). Personally I think a few more jets would be nice. From what I understand, there is an expansion in the works though. I'm quite satisfied with the Douglas DC-3. It's probably my favorite plane in the game even though it doesn't have an autopilot. Reminds me of Indiana Jones LOL. Anywho check this out if you're a flight sim fan. Nothing like plotting a course from St. Louis to Chicago and actually seeing real landmarks on the way. It's incredible to say the least.

I want this game so bad. Being broke sucks. Also living somewhere where there are no jobs (other then fastfood, which I'm not doing) sucks.

i am going to be all over this as soon as it comes out with an expansion pack and i am sure there aren't any major bugs left. i love flight sim 2002, so i am hoping that this will be sweet... i like it from the screenshots they have...

I was thinking of getting Flight Sim 2004 but have a question. I currently have a standard MS Sidewinder joystick. Would this be OK for this game or will I need to invest in a new joystick or HOTAS (? I think that is right) controller. I am looking for a somewhat cheap (<$50) solution if I need to upgrade.

orion25 said:
I was thinking of getting Flight Sim 2004 but have a question. I currently have a standard MS Sidewinder joystick. Would this be OK for this game or will I need to invest in a new joystick or HOTAS (? I think that is right) controller. I am looking for a somewhat cheap (<$50) solution if I need to upgrade.

I think you'll be fine with that joystick. I use a simple joystick with throttle control when I play (I don't have 04' version yet, I bought the old one for $10 w/ a rebate right before the new one came out). If you look on ebay, there are lots of fancy joysticks for sale. People buy them to play FS and end up not playing it all that much. You could pick up one there if you find you like the game, but I wouldn't spend the money unless you find yourself playing all the time. I play rarely, so a simple joystick works fine for me. Fancy joysticks with rudder control are nice and give you more realism, but the sim, like most planes in real life, automatically controls the rudders for you. If you'll be flying helocopters, you'll want a rudder control.

katka said:
I want this game so bad. Being broke sucks. Also living somewhere where there are no jobs (other then fastfood, which I'm not doing) sucks.

There's nothing wrong with fast food. Some money is better than none. Currently I'm working for WonderBread as a vendor, but I gave my 2-weeks notice a few days ago because classes are getting ready to start and one of my classes conflicts with the time I come in to work. There's nobody around here hiring either, so I see Ponderosa in my future. Nothing wrong with that though. At least I'll still be bringing in some cash.

FS2004 is a nice improvement over fs2002. The 3D clouds, real time weather and improved wind physics model make the sim very realistic. The only downside is that to run with settings on max detail requires a extremely fast box and vid card.

Quest For Speed said:
FS2004 is a nice improvement over fs2002. The 3D clouds, real time weather and improved wind physics model make the sim very realistic. The only downside is that to run with settings on max detail requires a extremely fast box and vid card.

Thats the part that i hate. My comp isn't all that fast and i do get frequent slow downs from time to time.

By the way, does anyone know how I overstress the boeing 777?I put the gears up and lift off at about 35 degrees. A few seconds later i would get an overstressed death. The warning light frequently comes up and i really dont like it. I was able to stay up with the plane for about 1 hour before but overstress got me again. I lower my speed to prevent this overstress, but even so, it gets me in the end.

Try not climbing at such a steep rate and also don't run your engines higher than 75%...

I had MS FS 2002 and I thought that it sucked. It was really boring to me and I thought that the graphics sucked too. Maybe I didnt give it enough time, but maybe that is because I just thought that it was boring as heck.

Well, if you don't like flying, you arent going to like a plain flight sim without dogfights or anything. Flight sims aren't something that everyone likes to play. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference if you were playing FS3002 or FS2002, it would still be boring if you don't like planes and flying.

I have FS98, FS2002 and FS2004.............I must say the graphics have improved a lot from FS98, but theres still A LOT of room for improvement! I hope they bring a flight sim out where you can fly jets like the F-16 and stuff like that!! :p

Lock On should be coming out rather soon. It is by the makers of IL2 Sturmovik. It will showcase modern jets. Be sure to check it out when it comes out. I know I will.

I cant wait to get home! I'm currentley in Ireland and am 1 hour away from a computer store :( Does anyone know when the expantion pack comes out? 2004=cool :)

Back