• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Win 7 OS- any real difference??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

What MS OS people recommend? I presume 64 bit (my netbook has 64bit), but there are 3 versions, Home, Professional and Ultimate.

I read on the MS site this table here MS Win7 Comparison

But beyond what is mentioned, I really don't know if there are any significant differences.

The OS is going to be installed on my Intel 120gig Cherryville SSD (new build), on a single PC. My HP netbook has 64bit Win7 Home Premium on it.

I have Vista (NOT installed) so I'm hoping to get upgrade pricing.

Thanks in advance.

More than 16GB of RAM would be overkill for average use. I just switched from 3GB to 8GB (no need to go anywhere near 12 or 16 for me).

While I have only used the Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions of Windows 7, I think the only things that I would miss by using the Home edition is the ability to join a domain, remote desktop host and the ability to use >8 GB of RAM. I don't think I have personally used any of the other extra features at all.

On a home system, you likely won't need more than 16GB of RAM unless you're using very specific processes and tools where you already know for certain you'll need more than 16GB of RAM. Also, there is a very easy patch you can apply (one-click fix) that will turn on Remote Desktop server capabilities in Home Premium. So the biggest difference ends of being the capability of joining a domain. I have Home Premium x64 at home and the only thing I've ever done was patch it so I can RD in from work, other than that I've never needed the other features.

I would get Professional over Home (in fact I did). But I see little reason why anyone would want to buy Ultimate unless you really need to.

Note, if you have Vista, you'll qualify for upgrade pricing to Win8. I've already started using that as my primary Windows install as I prefer it to 7. Don't know if you will, but worth mentioning.

I would get Professional over Home (in fact I did). But I see little reason why anyone would want to buy Ultimate unless you really need to.

Note, if you have Vista, you'll qualify for upgrade pricing to Win8. I've already started using that as my primary Windows install as I prefer it to 7. Don't know if you will, but worth mentioning.

Unsure about Win8 as it is so new. Hesistant to buy it, wouldn't want MS to release another Vista MISTAKE on my new rig. So I'm going with Win7, though, what do you like about win8, I honestly havent looked into it yet.

Back