• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 6570 + NVIDIA Graphics + Sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

da_devil

EDIT:
Problem resolved - graphics card won't fit AGP so am replacing motherboard...

Hi,
Sorry I'm a bit of a noob to all this but...

I'm running a MSI 6570 (k7n2) motherboard with onboard NVIDIA nForce 2 Ultra, AMD Athlon XP3200+ CPU, 1.5GB DDR2 and GeForce FX5600XT GPU.

Am getting a little ****ed off with all the new games (COD4, NFS Pro Street) that won't run on my rig as the FX5600XT won't do alpha blend/pixel shader 2.0 etc. so am looking to upgrade the graphics card...
On the actual graphics card it says "MSI GeForce" so am unsure whether I can get a normal NVIDIA one that can go in its place or whether I need an MSI branded one (I can get a NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS for NZ$539 OR a MSI NX8800GT for $500). Which would suit the motherboard better? Or would both do perfectly fine? Is it important that an MSI version goes in or can I use any branded GeForce (Gigabyte/Tagan/Leadtek)?

While the graphics card is going, thought I may as well fix the nForce2 and Vista drivers problem (most nForce2 features work with Vista, just get annoying L & R sound, rather than the 5.1 which I get from XP) so will get a separate (non onboard) sound card.
So am wondering if anyone knows of a good, mid-range, Vista compatable soundcard that would suit my MSI motherboard and do decent 5.1 through coaxial/spdif/optical?

Thanks for any help!
James.

Last edited:
Back