• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 785GM-P45 vs Biostar A785G3 ... for better OC? (Microcenter mATX mobos)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badboyeee

I was gonna go for one of the latest 800 series chipsets with usb3/sata3 like the MSI 890GXM-G65 and hoped Bulldozer/Zambezi will be compatible to it in the future, but apparently it wont be so...

I've decided that I should just go cheaper and downgrade to the 700 series chipsets that I can use for at least a year. Then Bulldozer should be out by then along with more USB3/SATA3 products.

So now I'm trying to decide between these two mATX motherboards from Microcenter for my budget HTPC/casual gaming build..

MSI 785GM-P45: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0342512
Biostar A785G3: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334738

Both should unlock and overclock.. Which one is better built / has more features for overclocking??

The specs of the MSI mobo from the MC website looks like it has better features: 7.1 vs 5.1 sound, more DDR3/SATA slots, can handle 1600mhz ram, etc (i actually dont need most of that extra stuff, but why is the Biostar $10 extra for the bundle?? what am I not seeing?

Or if there is another budget mATX mobo someone can recommend me, then that would be great.. but I am most likely going with one of the MC mobos because its basically free with the AMD cpu bundle sale. :D

edit: found another difference, MSI has HDMI/vga video ports ... Biostar has DVI/vga.. doesnt really matter tho, I already have a discrete video card..

Last edited:
Either one will have a limited OC because of the power system if nothing else. For an HTPC you're doing the right thing - looking at the features it has that you'll use.

One hint about board shopping for OC'ing: Go to the manufacturer's website and download the manual. That should give you a good idea of the BIOS differences between the boards ... ;)

Either one will have a limited OC because of the power system if nothing else. For an HTPC you're doing the right thing - looking at the features it has that you'll use.

One hint about board shopping for OC'ing: Go to the manufacturer's website and download the manual. That should give you a good idea of the BIOS differences between the boards ... ;)

Okay thanks, I like the MSI BIOS better :D Gonna buy that mobo this weekend. Just confused why Microcenter thinks the Biostar one is an $10 upgrade from the MSI, I think its the other way around hehe.

Are there any big differences between overclocking a 939 socket and an AM3? I think should do fine..

Back