• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 790GX AM3 Mobo + RAM issue. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Been To Branson

Registered
Here are the parts i am discussing my issue on:

MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit

Ok, i am in the process of building this setup. My issue is, i installed the processor fine. The CPU Cooler went on fine, but the way the board is laid out and the location of the RAM make it so that Heatsink fins project over the bottom channel of the memory, and the memory i picked comes with a metal grip attached to the top of it. The grip is so that you can push the stick of RAM onto the mobo and not potentially dmaage any of the RAM stick itself. But the grip sticks up about .5-1 inch making the RAM too tall to fit under that heatsink (even then it'd be close).

What i'm wondering, is there anyway to put the cooler in the opposite way on the AM3 Mobo's? Also, could we remove those metal grips to make it easier to work with w/o damaging the actual integrity of the RAM?

Thanks guys.

Ah I have the MSI 790FX GD70 and I have the same problem, I got my two ram sticks in but if I wanted to add 2 more, I can't. For me the Dark Knight completely covers 1 and a half of the ram slots in its horizontal position.

And what sucks the most is you can't mount it vertically, but wait! YOU CAN!. If I end up getting more ram Ill just pick up one of these.

Apparently,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708047

That will alow you to mount it vertically.

well since you have the same mobo, are the top two memory slots the primary two? As in, if i put 2x2GB sticks of ram in the 2 slots furthest from the CPU Slot, will i register 4GB of ram accuratly? I don't plan on adding more ram to this rig, just making sure i am able to achieve 4GB the way it is now.

Thanks man.
-Branson

Yea, mine reads as 4GB's.

Im thinking of buying that bracket myself, its only like a couple bux and then I would be able to put on a nice RAM cooler.

Monkey , from product description page .

Caution: TYPE –S retention modules are designed to be used with Enzotech Products "only"

To the OP get different ram modules if you must run 4 sticks , its an issue with most boards , tall ramsinks block the CPU cooler , but using farthest slots is not an issue , in normal situations there are no difference between two .

Back