• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 870A-G54 compatible with Mushkin RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madthinker

Hey, all.
I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my MSI 870A-G54 mobo. Newegg has Mushkin Blackline PC12800, 7-9-7-24, on for $90 right now, $75 after rebate, which looks like a pretty good deal to me. (link)

So, I have two questions:

1. Is this actually that great of a deal?
and
2. More importantly, will this RAM work with my mobo? I've been trying to find an answer for the past 30mins, and have come up with nothing- apparently my Google-fu is weak. Neither Msi's nor Mushkin's sites say anything definitive. You folks seem edja-macated, so hopefully someone here knows.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

The odds are very great that it will be a compatible match. Just because a motherboard manufacturer doesn't list a particular make/model of ram to be compatible with their board or just because a ram manufacturer doesn't list a particular motherboard as being compatible with one of their ram products means next to nothing. There are just too many products, both with regards to boards and ram that are being turned out for either one to possibly keep those compatibility tables current.

Its much more realistic to go at the question from the other direction: Is there evidence that they are not compatible? Do you read stuff in the reviews or on forums that suggests they are not?

That's addressing question #2. As far as being a bargain, I would say that's a good deal and the ram gets high customer ratings on NewEgg.

I went ahead and ordered the RAM. Thanks for the advice! Actually, it was $10 cheaper than what I quoted- I had forgotten that there was a promo code. When I remembered that, it clinched it; $65 for 4gb of low-latency RAM is just too good to pass up.

Back