• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 890FXA-GD70 , Worst 890FX board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MSI has horrible PWM sections and you have already noted the underpowered phases. I would steer clear of MSI and save yourself alot of frustration down the road.

So anyone bought it please report the issue. I think if a large number of RMA would hopefully get them to update the power phase.

There is nothing wrong with MSI PWM and it is actually 4+1 not 4+2.In all reality ASUS gigabyte and most other makers are using the same 4+1 design , but use two filtering chokes per phase and market 8+2 phases ,but not all phases are made equal. 4+1 is also AMD suggested reference design.

From what I glanced from that thread , the issues seems to be the heatsink,that covers both NB and the mosfets.

MSI = PC Chips and ECS for horrible motherboards, cheap components and boards that smoke themselves for no reason. I will never buy MSI or recommend it to anyone they are total *****. If you want to waste your money go ahead, you have been warned.

Im willing to guess that the problems with the MSI 890FX board is more bios related than anything else considering that Thuban had just been released when all the boards were dying.....I have a 790fx-gd70 that has been running strong on my 965 for a year and a half now, and would'nt hesitate to buy another one...the problem seen with the 890fx-gd70 may be particular to that exact board, and we all know that even the best of manufacturers have issues from time to time with some of their boards....If you are absolutely certain that you don't want a MSI, go with gigabyte, my sons computer has one and its solid.

Also about the weak power section there is a thread at XS http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217752 where Chew states time and time again that most power supply sections are just 4+1 ran in parallel, so this hubbub about 16+1, 24+1, 1000+1 is just marketing nonsense made to confuse the masses and those stuck on numbers.

Last edited:
Hi Guys....

i'd just like to say that iv had my Msi 890FXA-GD70 for almost a year now, i am running the latest bios v1.D

i have installed on this board:

AMD 1100T 6 Core 3.3Ghz - ( i have over clocked this to 4.2Ghz )
CPU-NB @ 2800mhz
HT-Link @ 2200mhz
16Gb of DDR3 1333 memory 9-9-9-24
GPU's - 2x Msi 6870 Twinfrozor II OC edditions in crossfire
PSU - 900watt Huntkey Modular

like i said i have had this board running these OC'ed specs for almost a year ( about 2 months short) i have not had any problems what so ever i constantly Bench and Prim95 my machine, also i have had Prime95 running Blended test for over 48h and no smoke or melting nothing... Board is perfect as far as i have had it....

I'm not sticking up for any body or dissing any body, im just putting out there, my experience.........

i also Do alot of gaming and lots of multi tasking....

Keep well all...

Peace...

I have had friends' motherboards to die on me because of burnt out MOSFETs. Literally.

I was testing a friend's build, no overclock or anything, for stability, and saw the magic smoke.

I would never buy MSi or recommend it, though I can't really keep that true, I also said the same for ASRs since I had 3 K7 ASRock boards die on me from RMA, and now I'm rocking a P67 and I couldn't be happier.

My Gigabyte 990FXA-D3's MOSFETs are getting really hot on a stock system running a Phenom II X4 850 (93w TDP).
P.S the 990FXA-D3 has a 4+1 power design.

I have this board and I can't fault it yet, clocks well and the heat sink on the mosfets and nb seem to be doing a stellar job, you have to remember you only ever hear about the ones that break, never the ones that don't, if you do a search for asus crosshair (the daddy of mobos) you will also find problems on the nb heat sink for that mobo too, so it is the buyers choice as too which direction you want to go but my board has never got hot and it's took my 960T to almost 4.7ghz and run in 1.6v no problem

I have a GD-65 and the problem I've been having is that whenever I try to OC the voltage spikes by .2-.3, even when I set it in the BIOS. Great board otherwise...

Back