• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Big Bang-X Power II VS. ASRock Extreme 11 Selection Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaddyGuy420

Question: Do you think It would be better to go with the ASRock Extreme 11 or get the MSI Big Bang-X Power II with a PCI-E addon card for additional SATA ports on a LGA2011 build?

The Setup:
I have a hard drive switch that I made for switching boot drives to swtich between 3 boot drives. So far I only have one hard drive that will be connected at all times for shuffling files back and forth (eventually want to do a 4 drive RAID 0+1 Setup). If anyone is wondering boot drives are for 1 Online normal use, 1 Offline isolated from the internet, 1 Gaming drive. I also plan on 4 optical drives. There is also a 2.5" HD Dock built into my case (Coolermaster Storm Stryker) that I would like to hook up as well. That makes my SATA needs as follows.

Initial build
------------------------
3 - Boot Drives
1 - Storage Drive
4 - Optical Drives
1 - HD Dock
------------------------
9 - Total SATA ports

<--================-->

Future Setup
-----------------------
3 - SSD Boot Drives
4 - RAID 0+1 Storage Drives
4 - Optical Drives
1 - HD Dock
-----------------------
12 - Total SATA ports

The question again: Would it be better to go with the ASRock Extreme 11 or get the MSI Big Bang-X Power II with a PCI-E addon card for additional SATA ports on a LGA2011 build?

Opinions on quality of board, reliability, and features would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other suggestions or ideas. I can also post pics of the HD switch if anyone would like to see it.

Thank you,
CaddyGuy420

Would like the 6 cores for video editing / special effects work. I realize the addon card would be slower but i was planning on using it for the optical drives if I go that route.

Yo no comprendo?

The AsRock Extreme 11, would be my choice, its a preference thing, but with that said, the AsRockExtreme 11 comes with 14sata ports, wo why the extra card?

Personally i have had MSI Big Bang Z77, did not like the bios one bit, and i had major problems with it soon as i had more then HDD's plugged, it would slow down the system to a crawling speed!

Im happy with my current AsRock, but i do have issues with Crossfire, and i dont know if its teh board of one or both my cards.

Hey there,

From my own personal experience i would believe it to be more in your interests to go with the MSI board, I think what Pierre was saying was; something wrong with his board, mine seems to have no problems whatsoever with SSD's and other SATA Peripherals. I would also say this bios is a little "finicky" but you get used to it, and in all honesty i love the bios after learning exactly how it works! :) Hope my opinions help! :D

Hey there,

From my own personal experience i would believe it to be more in your interests to go with the MSI board, I think what Pierre was saying was; something wrong with his board, mine seems to have no problems whatsoever with SSD's and other SATA Peripherals. I would also say this bios is a little "finicky" but you get used to it, and in all honesty i love the bios after learning exactly how it works! :) Hope my opinions help! :D

With that MSI bios, its a love hate thing! I hated it, along with many others, i have seen people sell the big bang Z77, with the reason for sale being " i didnt get along with the bios"

As for the Sata issues, i was not the only one, many people have reported that the more items plugged, the slower the system became.

It seems to me, they are hit or miss, and if you hit, and love like the bios, its pure love. If you hit and hate the bios you sell it. If you miss and hate the bios, all hell brakes lose, and is has cost one MB its life on this forum.

I have used many MSI boards before, never hated one as much as i hated the Big Bang. I am at the point where i would rather say go for an Asus board, if it breaks, deal with the crappy RMA. If it lives, odds are you will love it.

I will say this though, i really do not like that it wont let me overclock unless i change the settings in the BIOS for the My OC Genie II and push the button... So to overclock i have to change all the OC Genie settings take of the front panel, stick my hand through the 5.25" bays and press the button because i have 4 fans on my side panel and it's the biggest pain to put the side panel back on. xD That's the only problem i have encountered as of yet! :D So i'm happy :)

I will say this though, i really do not like that it wont let me overclock unless i change the settings in the BIOS for the My OC Genie II and push the button... So to overclock i have to change all the OC Genie settings take of the front panel, stick my hand through the 5.25" bays and press the button because i have 4 fans on my side panel and it's the biggest pain to put the side panel back on. xD That's the only problem i have encountered as of yet! :D So i'm happy :)

No, you can overclock it without oc genie?

Back