• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Gamer 5 z97 Bios options stuck on "Auto"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

I finally got my computer assembled and running. I've taken my time and updated Windows and installed Anti-virus and updated BIOS, and motherboard utilities.

It has two different applications to run in Windows to tweak and play with Overclocking. I've tried to check things under the BIOS, but the core multiplier and the voltage are on "Auto" and I can't seem to find a way to change them, other than entering "OC Genie" mode and changing them via the application software (OC Genie and Intel Extreme Tuning). I've tried Intel Extreme Tuning, but no matter what I do, even the smallest tweak locks my system up and forces a reboot.

First two pics will be OC Geniue Off, where it shows the Auto. The second set of two pics, will be with OC Genie on, and the categories are grayed out.

Attachments

• rsz_msi_snapshot.jpg
    rsz_msi_snapshot.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 26,576
  • rsz_2msi_snapshot_00.jpg
    rsz_2msi_snapshot_00.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 11,731
  • rsz_msi_snapshot_01.jpg
    rsz_msi_snapshot_01.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11,033
  • rsz_msi_snapshot_02.jpg
    rsz_msi_snapshot_02.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 10,943
Is there an advanced mode? Put it in that and see if you can see a "CPU RATIO MODE" in that section and switch it to fixed.

After highlighting the options, I assume you've tried using the +/- keys on the NumPad to change their values?

After highlighting the options, I assume you've tried using the +/- keys on the NumPad to change their values?

I'm an idiot. How did I overlook this?

Well. I duplicated the settings in the image, and I'm at 4.5 1.25v atm. Running prime and temps are creeping close to the 100C mark.

Are you on the latest bios? Here is why I ask.. this is from a review in May...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z97_GAMING_5/images/bios_21.jpg

... see how it shows that ratio mode option I was mentioning?

Try resetting the BIOS to stock and see if you can start from scratch...

I'm on the latest BIOS, v1.3.

Heh, I left the easy thing out... :p

Anyway, WAY too hot...please create a signature with your hardware in it, including cooling so its there for all to see. :)

You don't really want to run it that hot... There is no way it should be getting that hot with that cooler either...

...wait what speed/voltage did you get those temps on again? 4.5GHz 1.25v?

Make sure you have those fans on high and that door open on the front of the case so it can breathe as well.

I finally reseated my HSF. I cleaned it with isopropyl and the procesor. Let it dry, and reapplied paste, and the HSF.

I kept the voltage at 1.25.

I let this run tonight while I went to the gym for two hours on Blend. Temps looks a lot better to me.

EDIT: Bumped the multiplier up to 46. Started Prime95, temps were (only after 15mins) peaked at low 60's, and Windows crashed. :\

Attachments

• rsz_screen.jpg
    rsz_screen.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 10,666
Last edited:
Was it stable at 4.5GHz w/ turbo disabled and Vcore set to 1.15v, or you just left it at 1.25v w/ turbo enabled? For a 4.6GHz clock, figure in the neighborhood of 1.30v w/ turbo disabled.

Turbo has been disabled since I figured out how to adjust things in BIOS.

I'm stable at 4.5 at 1.25v. Windows crashed after 10mins of Prime95 at 4.6 at 1.25v.

Attached pics of my current settings (Minus the 46 core multiplier, it's at 45)

Attachments

• rsz_msi_snapshot_04.jpg
    rsz_msi_snapshot_04.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 10,679
  • rsz_msi_snapshot_05.jpg
    rsz_msi_snapshot_05.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 10,623
3hrs and 44mins of Prime, 0 errors or warnings. No restarts. @4.6 and 1.3v

Temps are getting pretty high still.

Attachments

• screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 10,591
As mentioned previously, those temps are HOT. I would keep things at 90C or less when stress testing personally..

Back