• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GF75 Thin 9SD thermal issues on gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hi,

My MSI GF75 Thin 9SD hits really high temperatures on gaming. I just replaced the stock thermal paste that came with the laptop with ARCTIC MX-4 and it's the same and maybe a bit worse than before.

It's my first attempt, next time I would open the laptop and check if the thermal paste I've put was distributed properly.

But let's assume that thermal paste I've put was distributed properly, and the result as I encountered now didn't get improved.

What should I do next ?

I have grizzly liquid metal, which I bought for my desktop, but didn't use it either for the desktop or the laptop until now.

But before going to liquid metal, is there anything I can do to improve the temps ?

It's a laptop... they run really hot, period. Get one of those cooling devices that goes underneath?

How hot is hot? What are your temps? Those cpus are good to 100C.

You can try repasting and see if it helps/was a bad application.

I have a thin model as well. It runs hot when gaming for sure but I run cooler stand with two 120mm fans under it which helps a lot. The GPU still gets to about 85 in warzone but it does help. I don't worry about it too much honestly.

Yes, very high temperatures could lead to fail components on long or short terms.

+ it's not a good feel when you touch the laptop and it's very hot !

In regard to a solution, I changed the thermal paste and used a good brand, but I think it didn't improve the temperature level.

My goal is to enhance the temperatures to not exceed 90 degrees. When it hit the 90s and the temps color goes to red, then I think that's dangerous to the system.

Again, the CPU is good to 100C. Lower temperatures are obviously better, but these CPUs don't start to throttle until 100C. They don't shut down until ~110C. As was also said earlier, you can try repasting again to see if the application was poor, but otherwise, get a cooler for the laptop to sit on.

Something like this..... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+c...sprefix=laptop+cooler,aps,76&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I opened up the laptop and this is my pasting from the last time:

thermal pasting try#1.jpg

What you think ?

My opinion, I think the stock thermal paste that came with the laptop is better than the ARCTIC MX-4. The thermal level hit high levels with this one.

The stock is not way better, just a very small difference.

But I still have my old 2014 PK-3 from Prolimatech, I think I may try it this time.

Your paste application looks excellent. I would be sure to fix the thermal pad above your VRAM before reassembly though.

The Arctic MX-4 is a good middle of the road paste. It is possible that MSI used a higher grade TIM but the difference should be negligible. With PK-3 you should notice maybe 2° C improvement at load. (EDIT: Assuming it's still good and not dried up)

Yep, the MX-4 is very sticky and liquid, also didn't have an obvious good performance.

I fixed that thermal pad (y)

I just applied the PK-3 and ran dirt 4:

laptop_PK3.jpg

I'm not taking these temps officially, because the back cover is open and I paused the game, so there is less load on the CPU and the GPU.

But I may have a more clear test on the performance of PK-3 with heavy gaming when the back cover is placed back.

I closed the game and the power option is on high performance the temps are +59 to 70s.

I put the power option to balanced and temps goes to 48-50s. Then I changed it to high performance again and temps still in 48-50s !

I really noticed unstable temperature management in this laptop, and the temps are fluctuating all the time in normal use. With a heavy game, the CPU and GPU of course will go to high intense duty with known temps from 80s to 90s.

It went down a couple of C.... which could be for any reason, honestly. A bit cooler ambient, different testing situations, etc.

... or with the back of the laptop off. Lol

It's tough to compare directly because of the different variables involved. It has to be the same exact test...same length, etc when comparing.

R1S8K said:
I'm not taking these temps officially, because the back cover is open and I paused the game, so there is less load on the CPU and the GPU.
see above. Have to test the exact same way for results.

I really noticed unstable temperature management in this laptop, and the temps are fluctuating all the time in normal use.
Normal. :)

The difference between those pastes is 1C, bud. ;)

If you're not OK with these OK temps, buy a fan apparatus to sit the laptop on.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents -

These thinner MSI gaming laptops do run hot. On my GS66 Stealth I had to disable turbo boost to get it to stop hitting 100c on the CPU, and that's also after swapping paste. Honestly I didn't see any real world performance so I just leave it disabled.

Other than that it's a tradeoff - do you want a laptop that's 3" thick or are you OK with higher temps?

Just my 2 cents -

These thinner MSI gaming laptops do run hot. On my GS66 Stealth I had to disable turbo boost to get it to stop hitting 100c on the CPU, and that's also after swapping paste. Honestly I didn't see any real world performance so I just leave it disabled.

Other than that it's a tradeoff - do you want a laptop that's 3" thick or are you OK with higher temps?
Yes, I guess if the temps hit +95, it should be also OK. And I'm OK with the high temps.

This is my last testing:

laptop_test_pk3.png

I just consider that the CPU hit very high temps for only running only a game and nothing else. Even in this testing, it also hit 97 degrees for little bit, but it averages with +90s levels.

Using PK-3 didn't improve the story, I think I have to go back to MX-4 and measure the difference again.

Also I think the cooling hardware in this laptop isn't very effective. I have Dell i7995 with i5 and GTX960m, and I ran all my games and I think it has more effective cooling than this laptop.

But I have to give more credit to higher level hardware in the MSI GF75 than the Dell.

Anyway, I think I should search for a better thermal paste, if there any.

As we stayed earlier, there is only a couple degree difference between the top paste and good pastes. Naturally a thinner laptop will have a thinner cooling solution resulting in less effective cooling. It's just physics. There really isn't a way around it.

I just consider that the CPU hit very high temps for only running only a game and nothing else. Even in this testing, it also hit 97 degrees for little bit, but it averages with +90s levels.
Yep. Welcome to (thin) laptops. :(

Using PK-3 didn't improve the story, I think I have to go back to MX-4 and measure the difference again.

Anyway, I think I should search for a better thermal paste, if there any.
Didn't expect it to. See the link I provided for TIM testing? THe difference between MX-4 and PK-3 is about 1C.

There are better pastes, but as was said earlier and blay again above, the difference between them isn't much. Again, check out my link for the TIM roundup and see.......... PK-3 is already one of the top pastes.

Also I think the cooling hardware in this laptop isn't very effective. I have Dell i7995 with i5 and GTX960m, and I ran all my games and I think it has more effective cooling than this laptop.
It's a thin laptop and the old one you're talking about, isn't thin... nor, as you say, does it have the same hardware (heat output).

Back