• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI - K9A2 Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodzy

I have an MSI - K9A2 Platinum Motherboard which will not boot up,
i power up the system but after a split second it will just power down again.

Any ideas?

Asus M4N82 Deluxe || OCZ 2GB KIt (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz ||
500gb Western Digital Hdd || 320gb Maxtor Hdd ||
AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition @ 3003Mhz [13x231] ||
Zalman CNPS 9700 CPU Cooler || MSI NX8800 GTS X2 [SLI] ||
Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower

Numerous possibilities.

1. It could be a bad or inadequate PSU as was mentioned.
2. Excessive overclock of the CPU/memory and or inadequate voltage to the CPU or memory or both. Your sig shows an Asus motherboard. Is the rest of the system and the overclock figures the same as in your sig since you put the MSI board in? If not, what do you have the CPU and memory overclocked to and how many volts are they getting? Try resetting the cmos and putting everything in the bios to default.
3. Bad ram. Take one stick out and then the other and see if it boots.
4. If you are using a metallic thermal paste like Arctic Silver, check to see if you didn't squeezed out too much around the edges of the heatsink so as to short across the processor pins or other electrical components in the socket area.
5. If none of the things above works I would look for an electrical ground out of some kind. Take the motherboard out and make sure you don't have a standoff misplaced that is making contact with the underside of the motherboard in some place it shouldn't.

The motherboard is in an older computer of mine not my current running rig,
i have tried the mobo with the PSU, RAM out of the rig i am currently using but stil nothing i have even tried swapping the MSI - K9A2 Platinum with the mobo i am currently using but, still Nothing! maybe the mobo is damaged in some way that it thinks it is always being switched on being the reason why after a split second it powers down again?

Are you using a switch or shorting the board contacts to turn it on? A bad switch might do that.

Is the board fairly clean? No debris in the slots anywhere?

I assume you've already done a CMOS reset ...?

Any ideas then? thanks for your help so far.

Is the board in a case now? If in a case, I would advise removing it to check for a stand off mount misplaced and grounding out the underside of the board against the case or making a shot across traces.

Last edited:
I agree - at this point you really need to try running the board outside a case. Put it on a table and place a couple of dowels (or anything non-conductive) under it for backside circulation then try it ...

that's exactly what i have done its been out the case since the problem came along, it is on a stand that came with an older mobo i bought!

If it's
outside the case and not touching anything conductive,
examined caps and board chips,
swapped PSU's and examined power plugs on the board,
swapped video,
swapped RAM and tested all slots with known good RAM,
removed/replaced the CPU so good contact on the pins & all pins good,
CPU cooler making good contact so no flash over-heating at boot

that pretty much leaves
dirt/debris causing a short across contacts on the board or in a slot or
the board has a break in one of the printed circuits or
a board chip has gone bad internally or
the CPU has somehow gone bad internally.

That's all I can think of ...

i think the board has a break, have checked everything you suggested but still nothing, thanks.

Are you sure you have both the 24 pin power connector and the P4 power connector plugged into the board from the PSU?

Back