• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSN Explorer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'm helping my neighbour with installing and learning Linux on one of his computers.

On a different computer he is running Win7 and downloading IE 11, with the intent of then installing MSN Explorer.

As I am teaching him to use Linux, I am in the position of being somewhat of an 'authority', but I don't want to let my personal preferences leak into our computer talk.

So, I feel hesitant to ask him "why" or more specifically "what" features does MSN Explorer offer, that a plain old browser like Firefox or Chrome(or Opera, or Konqueror or Midori) does not.

Does anyone here run MSN Explorer?

Question: are there any security issues with running a shell such as MSN Explorer on top of Internet Explorer?

Last edited:
I'd say go ahead and ask the questions of him as above that you are hesitant to ask. Personally I find layered software, i.e. MSN over IE11 over Winderz, to be a bit of bloat. Did you sell him on the idea of the Linux distro? If so, as the authority, you may be able to even get him to go Winderz/Google, especially as Google has v** coming out next week with ad blockers baked in.

I'd say go ahead and ask the questions of him as above that you are hesitant to ask. Personally I find layered software, i.e. MSN over IE11 over Winderz, to be a bit of bloat. Did you sell him on the idea of the Linux distro? If so, as the authority, you may be able to even get him to go Winderz/Google, especially as Google has v** coming out next week with ad blockers baked in.

He has known for a long time that I use Linux, but I did not make any effort to persuade him to try Linux.

"Winderz/Google, especially as Google has v** coming out next week with ad blockers baked in" ? I should google that, as I am unsure of what that means.

Sorry about that. Google is coming out with v.68 (I'd forgotten the revision number) which is making an effort to encourage HTTPS obvious vs. HTTP. And also is going to have ad blockers built into the browser rather than as a downloadable strap, here.

I don't know either, but as far as MSN Explorer, I religiously try to stay away from anything MS tries to force on you. I haven't even used internet explorer for many years, having used netscape, firefox ....on and on, even to this day. A quicky search came up with http://ccm.net/download/download-448-msn-explorer, but I have absolutely no idea how it is.

Sorry about that. Google is coming out with v.68 (I'd forgotten the revision number) which is making an effort to encourage HTTPS obvious vs. HTTP. And also is going to have ad blockers built into the browser rather than as a downloadable strap, here.

Google Chrome, O.K. yea I did hear about their push for HTTPS encryption.

I don't know either, but as far as MSN Explorer, I religiously try to stay away from anything MS tries to force on you. I haven't even used internet explorer for many years, having used netscape, firefox ....on and on, even to this day. A quicky search came up with http://ccm.net/download/download-448-msn-explorer, but I have absolutely no idea how it is.

I used MSN Explorer back in the dial-up days, IIRC that was pushed if the MSN dial-up software was installed.

Later discovered the joy of not using the MSN dial-up software, but rather creating a DUN connection, which generally was a bit faster, and didn't get involuntarily disconnected , like the MSN(or AOL or CompuServe) software would.

Cyberfox, that sounds interesting but when I searched for it I came across an article: Cyberfox author proclaims death of web browser :(

I did find a Cyberfox 52.6.1 download for x64 Linux, which is the same version of FF I'm running . Uh, maybe I should d/l firefox-58.0.2 as well.

Beware a lot of banking sites (/me glares angrily at Chase.com) will refuse to work with off-brand browsers (e.g. Pale Moon). Probably best for your "student" to just stick to the official Chrome or Firefox release with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, etc. for protection. And always add uMatrix if they're willing to learn to use it :)

He probably means "internet explorer with msn.com as my homepage". I don't even recommend msn.com as a homepage, it's an ad-plagued, wonky website. Google.com is still very clean, and just teach them to click a shortcut/favorite for when they want something from msn.com

He probably means "internet explorer with msn.com as my homepage". I don't even recommend msn.com as a homepage, it's an ad-plagued, wonky website. Google.com is still very clean, and just teach them to click a shortcut/favorite for when they want something from msn.com

I haven't had a chance to talk with him, but he did mention specifically that he is(or is going to) download MSN software, and was downloading IE 11 as a prerequisite for the MSN install.

He is welcome to do want he wants to do, but I totally agree that it's ad-plagued and wonky...to each his own.

If he wants, I'll show him how to install Wine and help him get IE 11 + MSN running on his Linux machines.

:shrug:

Good techs don't let the end user bend reality to their distorted vision. You need to tell them this MSN thing is a dead end and explain why. Then if they're still insistent, run away. :p

Good techs don't let the end user bend reality to their distorted vision. You need to tell them this MSN thing is a dead end and explain why. Then if they're still insistent, run away. :p

Understood. But he's a big boy and I do not want to demean or insult his choosing.

I'll find an opportunity to open a discussion. Yesterday I tried, I had a big bag of home-grown lemons my step-son gave us, I offered him some. We talked for about 30 minutes, but had to break off the conversation....weather was getting really cold.

Another issue
He has a problem with his home network, I suspect it has ALOT to do with the [possibly nefarious] "security" person/people he hired off the net to provide...???...<unknown> security services.

I urged him to reset his modem/router and described the procedure. I may have to take him some more lemons. and see what's going on...:shrug:

I urged him to reset his modem/router and described the procedure. I may have to take him some more lemons. and see what's going on...:shrug:

Save a few pounds of lemons in the bag in case you need to hit him over the head repeatedly with said bag. ;) That's how 'big boys' learn from their mistakes.

Last edited:
Save a few pounds of lemons in the bag in case you need to hit him over the head repeatedly with said bag. ;) That's how 'big boys' learn from their mistakes.

Oranges are better, less bruising to explain to the wife/GF ;)

On a more serious note, neither IE11 or EDGE are bad browsers per se, EDGE routinely wins points in speed benchmarks, but IE11 is very out of date by now. Add the miserable excuse for addon support and it's really not a safe bet.

Oranges are better, less bruising to explain to the wife/GF ;)

On a more serious note, neither IE11 or EDGE are bad browsers per se, EDGE routinely wins points in speed benchmarks, but IE11 is very out of date by now. Add the miserable excuse for addon support and it's really not a safe bet.

Is Microsoft still even supporting IE in security updates? Edge is a Windows 10 feature...and my neighbour has mentioned he's against going to W10.

From a Linux user's perspective, I understand that. But for a person wanting to life in a Window's world, a secure browser is a must(really, for everybody).

I did give him a copy of W10, he can use his Win7 key(still ?) or just buy one from M$.

Here's what's still in the lemon bag:

lemons.jpg

Being that he is an armed retired peace officer, this should be fun.

Just a simple assault and battery, not enough to end up in the prison system that he and I both worked in. ;)

Here's what's still in the lemon bag:

View attachment 196708

Being that he is an armed retired peace officer, this should be fun.

Just a simple assault and battery, not enough to end up in the prison system that he and I both worked in. ;)

I suggest getting in the first whack, you don't want to risk a rumble. Good advice Kenrou on the oranges. ;)

IE is still being patched, until January 2020 when Windows 7 is officially no longer supported. This date could be extended... but I'm kinda doubting it. M$ seems to be playing their cards now, controlling things they can and taking a hard line on security. The sooner Windows 7 vanishes, the better for them.

Edge is not a full browser, some pages won't even work using it.

I suggest getting in the first whack, you don't want to risk a rumble. Good advice Kenrou on the oranges. ;)

IE is still being patched, until January 2020 when Windows 7 is officially no longer supported. This date could be extended... but I'm kinda doubting it. M$ seems to be playing their cards now, controlling things they can and taking a hard line on security. The sooner Windows 7 vanishes, the better for them.

Edge is not a full browser, some pages won't even work using it.

2 years 'til EOL for Win7, maybe I should turn in my win7 key to do a W10 install....

Back