• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi monitor vs. single very high res monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbstern

Registered
Considering upgrading my everyday workstation displays. My primary display is a 24" Viewsonic at 1920x1080. I use it for web development, database work, spreadsheets, documents, etc. I have a second display, an old 19" Acer, running at 1440x900, which is used for sticky notes, server status windows, browser developer tool windows...stuff that I need to glance at throughout the day, but not the stuff I focus on.

I'm considering going to a two or even three monitor 1920x1080 setup, and moving the smaller monitor to another machine that will handle the monitoring and status displays I need to have running 24 hours a day.

Before I take that plunge, I'm thinking about whether I should be looking at a single, large 4K display instead of two or three smaller displays. This is not a gaming setup. It's an everyday (often 12 to 14 hours at a time) workstation for my professional activities. I'm working on numerous web and software development projects at a time, so the ability to keep many windows open and quickly move between them is a big advantage.

Interested in feedback from those of you who went with a single very high res display vs. those who prefer multiple displays.

Also interested in feedback on any limitations of the GTX 650 as a multi HD display card. It's a hand-me-down from one of my son's gaming builds. More than enough for my current setup, but wondering if I need something more potent if I move up to a very high res display, or triple 1920x1080 displays.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, thought of one more thing: IPS or non-IPS? Anybody feel like the color accuracy and any other viewing improvements of IPS is better/worthwhile?

Last edited:
I feel like you'd benefit more from three screens than a single 4K screen.

I prefer IPS, personally.
You would see the benefits in color representation if your web development ever involves any visual design work.
The viewing angle is very nice as well.

It'll simply be easier for you to have multiple programs on the screens versus having to set the size manually for a single big screen.

I second multi-screens vs 4K for you. You'll be able to manage your desktop space better across 3 screens than 1, even if it's technically got more real estate.

Do the borders between the screens bother you? If so, one big screen would make more sense.

On my PC, if I want a window using half or a quarter of the screen, I just drag the window to the corner or side and it will "snap" in place. AFAIK, that's enabled by default in KDE 4/5.

Something else to beware of is that if you want one screen mounted above another, the cost of a stackable stand is not insignificant.

Maybe get the best of both worlds with a 1440p or 4K display in the middle and your existing displays off to the sides?

A web designer might want multiple monitors each one having a commonly used resolution, so that you can get an idea of the way people might experience their websites. Maybe have monitors with a laptop resolution, 1080p and possibly 1440p, it is amazing how much the font size changes with resolution.

Do the borders between the screens bother you? If so, one big screen would make more sense.

On my PC, if I want a window using half or a quarter of the screen, I just drag the window to the corner or side and it will "snap" in place. AFAIK, that's enabled by default in KDE 4/5.

Something else to beware of is that if you want one screen mounted above another, the cost of a stackable stand is not insignificant.

Maybe get the best of both worlds with a 1440p or 4K display in the middle and your existing displays off to the sides?

The borders don't bother me.

I do a lot of window resizing now. I'll have two or three web development projects going at once, usually more than one browser brand open, some database/spreadsheet/word/pdf documents open, Outlook email, sticky notes, Windows RDP, Filezilla, Editplus, Windows folders, one or more SSH sessions, RDP. And I frequently flip around between the different apps. Lots of minimizing and resizing as I hop from one task to the next. I'm hoping to segregate the type of work a bit to different screens, to be able to stay focused on what I'm working on rather than shuffling.

I've got enough (physical) desk real estate to have the displays sit on the desk, although mounting them is a future consideration.

AnimeMania said:
A web designer might want multiple monitors each one having a commonly used resolution, so that you can get an idea of the way people might experience their websites. Maybe have monitors with a laptop resolution, 1080p and possibly 1440p, it is amazing how much the font size changes with resolution.

Right on. I do that with my current setup, and I keep a laptop, tablet and phone handy for those purposes. Chrome, in developer mode, does a nice job of allowing you to resize the window while showing viewport dimensions. Very helpful for identifying responsive layout problems.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I picked up an AOC v2369 23" 1080p IPS display yesterday. Shocked at how excellent the colors are. Deepest/most accurate black I've ever seen on display. Should be a big help in my day job.

I need two more of the AOC monitors, but they only had the one in the local Microcenter. Have to get across town for the other two.

Thanks again, all.

Back