• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier is jumping around?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrg273

Registered
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a T2400 Core Duo processor. I was planning on doing a bit of OC just to see what I can do. So I get CPU Z installed and I find out that my multiplier is shown as x6 then imediatly it goes to x11 and then back to x6 and goes back and forth indefinatly. I am not going through any crazy tasks, just internet explorer and some rapidshare downloads so what could be causing this fluctuation? Thanks in advance.

Mr G

That would be intel speedstep. Because you arent stressing it, it doesnt need to be running at full power. You can either disable it in the bios (if dell lets you) or just dont worry about it, when the multi is needed at x11, it will go there.

:welcome: to the forums! :)

First, it is Speedstep that is doing its job. You want to leave that ENABLED for a laptop.

Second, do not overclock laptops, they have heat issues running at stock, they don't need assistance ;). Most are completely locked anyway.

Diddyu: How do you like your setup, I have been adding almost the same rig to my cart at newegg and tigerdirect just havent pushed the buy button yet... the only thing I was doing differently was looking for a tuniq 120 HSF and different case. Any recomendations? I am currently holding out for the intel price drop. This will be the first comp I overclock so I want somethign that will take what ever my itch tells me to do:D. Thanks for the advice.

Mr G

I dont have any problems, but I wouldnt get an SLI board unless you intend to buy two cards. I bought mine all at tiger direct, and actually the stats are a little off, ive gotten everything decently faster than is shown there, I just sigged my typical day to day settings.

Back