• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mundane memtest question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey there overclockers!

So I've run into a serious issue with my PC, which is either a HDD with some bad sectors, ram that is faulty, or video ram, again faulty. C0000005 , and occasional blue screens, error codes 50 and 3b. The first of three occurs frequently, crashing Skyrim, planet explorers, and various other games, preventing a single Playthrough through either game. It corrupts skyrim saves every time.

Since then, i have run chkdsk, with no errors, updated video card drivers, gtx 770 2gb, reseated video card, and am currently running memtestx86+, 2 complete passes so far, how many runs should i let it run before Determining it is not the problem piece?

I'm really hoping it isn't the video card, but as the C0000005 error occurred before the 770, i have hope.

Thanks for any insight !

Posted on my mobile, Specs:

MSI Z68A-GD65(b3)

I5 2500k stock

8 gigs gddr3 ripjawsx 1600 cl8

WD 1tb caviar black

evga gtx 770 2gb

Last edited:
Windows 7 Ultimate

I can't update the full dmp, 112 MB after archiving, bu here is the minidump files

Its worth noting, the BBC code 50 occured only after i scheduled a chkdsk and clicked restart on the start menu. Immediately after clicking it.

View attachment Minidump.zip

Not certain which was the most recent, but here they are

Last edited:
Ah, sorry bout that, i just kind of rush zipped everything as i had to go out for a bit. I'll check that tool out when i get home. Here's to hoping, I'll keep you guys posted.

And you might also want to bump the CPU I/O and DRAM voltage a bit even though Memtest86+ passes. Default I/O is 1.15v, so try a bump to 1.20v. And assuming your Ripjaws are rated for 1.5v at DDR3-1600, bump the DRAM voltage to 1.55v.

Unable to modify any voltages or frequencies in the UEFI. This is due to an earlier bios flash that was set up for ivy bridge, and required a firmware update *ME 8*.

That being said, here is the resulting blue screen minidump for verifer.exe

View attachment 031514-18564-01.zip

BBC code 9C

The C0000005 error occured even before the bios flash, so that isn't the cause. as far as i can tell.

I haven't flashed back because if i did, according to an MSI rep i spoke with on the phone, i would brick the board completely. He recommended I RMA it, which sadly is not an option at this moment in time.

Just looked up the code...MOBO/cpu instability...JOY.

That means every single component is now under scrutiny.

Screw it. If this doesn't give us any valid information, I'll start doing stress tests to test if its power supply related. If it chugs though for a day running fur mark and Prime 95 without crashing, I'll replace the motherboard. I was really trying to hold off on replacing it until broadwell comes out, but I'll do what i gotta do, then RMA everything that i replace, and maybe build another rig*or sell them*

Last edited:
Unable to modify any voltages or frequencies in the UEFI. This is due to an earlier bios flash that was set up for ivy bridge, and required a firmware update *ME 8*.

. . .

I haven't flashed back because if i did, according to an MSI rep i spoke with on the phone, i would brick the board completely. He recommended I RMA it, which sadly is not an option at this moment in time.

Just looked up the code...MOBO/cpu instability...JOY.

That means every single component is now under scrutiny.
Any better luck at the 1333 MHz JEDEC timings of that G.Skill?

MSI's forums, https://forum-en.msi.com/‎ , sometimes gives information that contradicts MSI's, especially in regards to BIOS updates, where they warn to use their updater rather than the methods recomended by MSI. The forum moderators also give information about flashing back to older BIOSes, maybe even back to older MEs.

Do you have the ver. 25.6 BIOS, not the first Ivy Bridge BIOS (ver 25.4), which MSI tech support warned was not for Sandy Bridge CPUs? MSI told me the newest BIOS is OK for both Sandy and Ivy CPUs.

25.8 It was a Recommendation, I didn't think It would cause instability, and then be impossible to revert without bricking the board.

They should note that you can not revert back after you update, not a simple "recommendation".

As for the ram, I can not change ANYTHING in the bios. everything is either locked at auto, or has no options to choose from except auto.

using OC Genie on the board causes BSoD, makes sense though, seeing as It probably is looking for Ivy bridge.

That being said, Here is the board I'm looking at for a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

I have but one concern: The lack of a heatspreader on the nodes above the cpu, the ones labeled R56. Will this lower any overclocking potential?

Last edited:
Back