• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must....rant...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

OK, I'm in a bit of a situation. I ordered 256MB PC-133 SDRAM off newegg, good and all...turns out my PC isn't capable of it. :bang head

So i go back to newegg, get an RMA, and search for PC-100. Turns out the cheapest 256 they have there is like $70! So I go to tigerdirect, and find cheaper RAM there for $54.99.

Can you guys PLEASE convince my mom that the more I get now, the less I have to get later?

Wait a second - PC133 should work in a PC100 board - it will just run at 100MHz rather than 133MHz. You shouldnt need to specifically get PC100....

Did you actually try the RAM in the board?

I think I know what your talking about... it's all about the configuration of the memory or whatever... like newer PC-100 and 133 won't work on "OLD" mobo's that use PC-100/133.

Check Crucial if the computer is from an OEM builder, it should have what you need, and will tell you the configuration (like 8x64 or something).

Yes. The BIOS stopped reading at 64 MB. I have a 64 MB pc100 in there right now. I really dont wanna install Win98 just to flash my BIOS.

Some boards are picky. I think that you need low density ram to make sure it will work. I had to find a stick of low density SD-RAM for my moms e-machines. All my other sticks did not work. Why don't you try here in the forums? I bought the low density ram here and I got a couple sticks for $20. There's always ebay.

Still doesn't accept the RAM, BIOS is flashed...should I clear the CMOS?

Sorry about the triple post...

Is SDRAM compatible with a DDR slot? I doubt it, but, hey, maybe :D

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Is SDRAM compatible with a DDR slot? I doubt it, but, hey, maybe :D

PC133 or PC100 or PC66 RAM uses a 168 pin slot with two notches.
DDR RAM uses a 184 pin slot with one notch.

I'll let you figure it out ;)

Back