• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Bulldozer build starts now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohioviper

Well I just decided today was the day. Tomorrow is my birthday so wth. I just bought GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 and G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB). Now I set and wait for the Bulldozer with money in hand.......
I will be replacing my I7 950 and x58-UDR3 with this. Will be doing crossfire with my 2 5870s so the UD3 will work just fine for my 2 way xfire no plans for 3 way.Any suggestions for water cooling the bulldozer and 2 5870s ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

I thought about this but what if better components come out in the mean time? Gigabyte board = good choice. I've never looked back since getting my UD5P. Do you know what kind of price range the Bulldozer will be for the BE top spec one?

I'd be really curious to see some After Effects rendering tests on that bulldozer, and some handbrake encodes. I hate that all these sites out there give the "cookie cutter" synthetic test reviews.

I sure hope this is right. Since i don't plan on upgrading for awhile until the prices drop to bulldozer. Do plan on picking up a 1090T at some point with though.

Lots of silence for 2 days. Someone has to be getting shipments already if the street date is in 2 days.

Well now im just really bummed at the reviews and Newegg is out of stock already. I might just ebay the motherboard and go 2600k.

That would be a smarter route, in my opinion, especially with Ivy Bridge supposedly coming next year. The 2600K beats Bulldozer while using A LOT less power, and the price difference is only ~$35 more for the 2600K...

I was going to buy BD and have been suggesting people wait for it (SORRY!). Honestly though now that it's out.. You can get a 2600K and board for pretty well the same $ as an 8150 and board. That 2600K will outperform the 8150 on significantly less juice. The 8150 is basically a power hungry overpriced 2500K that needs a bigger heatsink...

Get a 2000 series intel chip and call it a day..
The only (remote) usage scenario where I'd say get the 8150 is if you had 6 SATA devices that you just HAD to pull down 6gbps on and you wanted to run 3 way SLI without losing any precious frames to bandwidth restrictions. And someone else pays your power bill. It'd still be a tough sell.

I was going to buy BD and have been suggesting people wait for it (SORRY!). Honestly though now that it's out.. You can get a 2600K and board for pretty well the same $ as an 8150 and board. That 2600K will outperform the 8150 on significantly less juice. The 8150 is basically a power hungry overpriced 2500K that needs a bigger heatsink...

Get a 2000 series intel chip and call it a day..
The only (remote) usage scenario where I'd say get the 8150 is if you had 6 SATA devices that you just HAD to pull down 6gbps on and you wanted to run 3 way SLI without losing any precious frames to bandwidth restrictions. And someone else pays your power bill. It'd still be a tough sell.

I think the section of the computing world we tend to live in day in and day out is not the real market AMD is shooting for. I am guessing the large system intergrators and the server market is where they will make their money. However when I see the power consumption...well that may in the end even hurt in the server market. Hard to say. Just glad I am out of the upgrade every 3 to 6 mos racket. :screwy:

Given that higher density, reduced power consumption and lower thermal output are currently the primary purchasing criteria for most data centers, this seems a foregone conclusion.

+1

No way that a major account buys an electricity ogre!

Back