• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my current build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomlintm

what you all think of my current build any suggestion on upgrades or just stick with what i have till zen and am4 and im already replacing my psu since my current psu is failing anyways im also getting another video card to do crossfire some time this year or nexted

Your question cannot be meaningfully answered unless you tell us what you use this system for and why you are considering upgrading. Is it no longer meeting your needs? Is the performance inadequate for the application? Or, do you just have the upgrade bug?

Your question cannot be meaningfully answered unless you tell us what you use this system for and why you are considering upgrading. Is it no longer meeting your needs? Is the performance inadequate for the application? Or, do you just have the upgrade bug?

Well for gaming what else lol
And i normally upgrade once a year and the year is almost up so im doing my research now so when the time comes for income tax time can order the parts

Depends on what kind of benchmark you are doing. Besides, very soon Intel will come up with something better than Zen on the same socket as Skylake.

Well for gaming what else lol
And i normally upgrade once a year and the year is almost up so im doing my research now so when the time comes for income tax time can order the parts
Then wait for Zen. You seem to be an AMD fan and Zen should be out then.

Depends on what kind of benchmark you are doing. Besides, very soon Intel will come up with something better than Zen on the same socket as Skylake.

what you mean benchmarks Oo real world gaming is the best benchmarking :p

and i think intels kaby lake cpus are coming out i think around the same time as zen if not after

i kinda like the new zen cpus i no im sounding like a fanboy of amd and i maybe am but hey its cheap and afardable and you dont have to be rich to buy there product unlike Intel were you have to be a millionair to even build a intel computer lol :D

but anyways depending on how it does is what i desided to do b/c im starting to get really irritated with amd anyways so thats why im wanting to get there new stuff coming out thats why i bough a rx480 right off the bat on release date and after seeing it beat the 1080 in crossfire is actully cool but i no not all games wont support crossfire but i do also like how i dont need a Xbridge no more lol

Last edited:
And really, the difference between an Intel build and AMD is around $150 or so. It doesn't take being rich to get Intel, especially when you consider a PC costs, generally over $1K. What is 15% more for WAY more performance out of the CPU? ;)

As far as Zen and Kaby Lake... If Zen performs on par with Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake (within a few %), you can bet your arse you are not going to be paying $200 for their top of the line Octo core like you are now. Performance is finally where the market wants it to be, which means that AMD will likely jack the prices up. For example, Intel's Octo is $1K now... I would bet money says AMD comes in around $400+ on their Octo+HT if it performs as they say. This undercuts its direct competition by HUNDREDS, is 'fair' in the market, and yields some profits for AMD. AMD should have a quad with HT (like i7) which should be cheaper.. I would expect that around $250 or so... If AMD comes in where the 8370 is now, I would be absolutely floored. And while for the short term that is great, I would rather they look further down the road by raking in some profits now and put it towards more R&D.

Your posts are tough to follow with all the punctuation missing and such... :(

And really, the difference between an Intel build and AMD is around $150 or so. It doesn't take being rich to get Intel, especially when you consider a PC costs, generally over $1K. What is 15% more for WAY more performance out of the CPU? ;)

As far as Zen and Kaby Lake... If Zen performs on par with Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake (within a few %), you can bet your arse you are not going to be paying $200 for their top of the line Octo core like you are now. Performance is finally where the market wants it to be, which means that AMD will likely jack the prices up. For example, Intel's Octo is $1K now... I would bet money says AMD comes in around $400+ on their Octo+HT if it performs as they say. This undercuts its direct competition by HUNDREDS, is 'fair' in the market, and yields some profits for AMD. AMD should have a quad with HT (like i7) which should be cheaper.. I would expect that around $250 or so... If AMD comes in where the 8370 is now, I would be absolutely floored. And while for the short term that is great, I would rather they look further down the road by raking in some profits now and put it towards more R&D.

Your posts are tough to follow with all the punctuation missing and such... :(

ya i no i type differently but i try to get to the point as much as possable and sometimes i take a different path got to love adhd lol

i was only kidding on the rich part b/c i never have money to even get intel lol

i been reading on some websites that ppl are prodicting priced at

FX-Zen Quad Core: £80 incl VAT
FX-Zen Six Core: £120 incl VAT
FX-Zen Eight Core: £180 incl VAT
APU-Zen Quad Core: £100 incl VAT

but its only a rumor im not holding my breath but hey it would be great if it was lol

Last edited:
Like I said, I'd be floored if their octo comes in close to $240 USA (your 180) with performamce like haswell or greater...

I'd be willing to bet good money says thier latest octo with HT doesn't come in under $400. I'm honestly thinking $450...again, if it performs close to haswell.

Like I said, I'd be floored if their octo comes in close to $240 USA (your 180) with performamce like haswell or greater...

I'd be willing to bet good money says thier latest octo with HT doesn't come in under $400. I'm honestly thinking $450...again, if it performs close to haswell.

come on have some faith 240 is the sweet spot right now for amd b/c of there rx480 i was floored i could get a graphics card that out did my old r9 280x card so there cpu would really put them back on the map at that price range :D

As earthdog said, I also doubt that if it's anywhere near what Intel is capable of, I dont see it going any less than 450.

It would be nice, for it to be lower, but highly unlikely.

I'm torn between AMD's history of hype vs. horsepower and the possibility that they really are back with Zen. Either way I think ED nailed it. $500 for an 8 core, 16 thread Haswell equivalent (or Haswell killer!) would be enough to hurt Intel for a year or so. I can't think of a single reason AMD would go as low as $250. They couldn't put Intel out of business if they sold a million of them at $250. I thinktheir biggest strides would have come from the RX 480-if it had been released 6 months earlier.

As earthdog said, I also doubt that if it's anywhere near what Intel is capable of, I dont see it going any less than 450.

It would be nice, for it to be lower, but highly unlikely.

Im hoping it is i could build a new system up todate finlly lol for less money

I'm torn between AMD's history of hype vs. horsepower and the possibility that they really are back with Zen. Either way I think ED nailed it. $500 for an 8 core, 16 thread Haswell equivalent (or Haswell killer!) would be enough to hurt Intel for a year or so. I can't think of a single reason AMD would go as low as $250. They couldn't put Intel out of business if they sold a million of them at $250. I thinktheir biggest strides would have come from the RX 480-if it had been released 6 months earlier.

Even so if amd screws use with zen im going to intel i already have a intel build on new egg going for a back up lol

Back