• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my DVD-RW fails to burn any DVD or CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asky^

Hello, i have a problem!

I have AMD Sempton system with SATA seagate HD, 512 DDR333Hz ram and with TOSHIBA DVD-RW SD-R5372. I have Win XP Pro EG SP2 along with nero 7 and an alternative burning software , Deepburner.

So my problem is that my dvdrw fails to burn ANY dvd or CD! I asked around showing my log file and they told me that my DMA is off on every optical drive!

Can you help me? I'm pasting the 2 log files, 1 is with attempt on cd recording, the other on dvd, along with screenie of my devise manager .... apperantly i dont have the IDE ATA/ATAPI primary and secondary so i could activate the DMA!! (if thats the problem)
untitled.jpg

I have the Albatron KX18D Pro II MB and my system is fresh from format!

Attachments

• Log2.txt
    8 KB · Views: 63
  • Log.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 70
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 60
:welcome: to the forums.

First thing I suggest you try is to remove the nforce IDE controller drivers. You can do this by rerunning the setup for the motherboard chipset drivers, and removing them that way.

My next question is, why are your devices showing as SCSI?

asky^ said:
I have no idea why they are looked as SCSI ... and what will happend to my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers if i'll remove the nVidia? gonna try it
It will just default back to the standard Windows IDE drivers.

Get rid of the nVidia IDE drivers. They cause nothing but problems.

The windows drivers will work for the IDE channels but some other things on your board propably won't. I have a different MB but it is an N force board and I use the NVidia drivers with no problems and it is over clocked also, DVD burner works great. You should check some of the other posts about DVD burners there may be something in them that may help you.

well i went to Device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstalled the nForce drivers, tried to burn a DVD ... and IT WORKD!!!

Thatnx you for your reply and guidence :p you saved me

PopRichie , will look into it, but i heard that nForce do cause problems. i took all the drivers i need from MB cd (the stuff that had problems were with a yellow (!) so I updated driver on those ). Will see if it will casue problems elsewere

and i dont think that my burner has a problem .. it's only a week old :p

I forgot to mention that the driver that is on the CD that came with your MB may have problems, mine did. I downloaded a newer NVidia driver from the NVidia download site and it works fine. Glad to here you got the burner working. If you can get the other drivers working and keep the Windows IDE driver, then your ok to go.

I see that the problem is solved but just wanted to add that I also had major problems with the nVidia IDE drivers and went back to the MS ones.

The nVidia drivers are so hit and miss, it's not funny. When I have gotten them to work without an issue, I couldn't quantify any performance increase from using them vs the standard Windows driver. For that reason, I prefer not to gamble.

Did removing the drivers remove the "SCSI" label on your devices? Just curious on that.

I had a Starforce-related issue (the issue being that I had Starforce installed) that resulted eventually in my CD burner reverting to PIO mode and reporting itself as a SCSI drive, so that may be something to look into..

the moment my DSL will be ready I will reply to your questions. Now i'm using a Cyber Cafe to do this "dirty work" so don't want to use the a:/ drive to move the info

Back