• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My farm build....help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if you go with Linux as your host OS you would still come out better running 2xVMWare Linux OS'es on top of that.

Just a suggestion. :)

Two clients running in VMWare Linux (using 2 cores each) yields more ppd than a single client in native Linux (using all 4 cores).

The free version of VMWare Server only allows two cores per VM... and it allows each client to avoid "quad only" work units.

Two clients running in VMWare Linux (using 2 cores each) yields more ppd than a single client in native Linux (using all 4 cores).

The free version of VMWare Server only allows two cores per VM... and it allows each client to avoid "quad only" work units.

What OS are you doing this in?
A Quad system,
running Windows,
running 2 VmWare / 2 instances of Linux / Ubuntu in the VmWare

Yeilds more ppd than native Linux?

Did I understand that right?

Or is it different?

What OS are you doing this in?
A Quad system,
running Windows,
running 2 VmWare / 2 instances of Linux / Ubuntu in the VmWare

Yeilds more ppd than native Linux?

Did I understand that right?

Or is it different?

Yes, I can say that, on a Quad, running XP32-bit w/2xVMWare running Ubuntu 64-bit yields more ppd than running 1 client in native Linux... heck, a lot of us have been doing this for a while. :D From what I've read, Vista and XP 64-bit yield a bit less... but I have no experience with that setup.

ludeboy12 said:
what happens if you use two clients in native linux??

I have no idea... I would imagine if you could set affinity like the SMP affinity changer does that you could achieve the same or better results, but in that case you can't avoid the "quad only" server which serves WUs to clients reporting at least 4 cores. With the 2xVMWare setup you are pretty much guaranteed a "regular" SMP unit... which will maximize the ppd from your quad.

its definitely on though. I'm determined to break into the top 10 for 24hr ppd.

indeed a stout goal, but you'll never know!! ;)

one thing for all farmer wannabe out there is seriously think 'bout power and cooling and cost!! 5+ Quad isn't a simple deal to cool, and to power! as other asked, are you going to pay for the power bill yourself? where are you going to put the rigs? how you going to cool them?

what happens if you use two clients in native linux??

With some WU's you'll make better points, depends on what the server serves you. It will take more 'hands-on' monitoring than running two VMs, which would insure not getting the quad-only WUs.

Edit: It took me the longest time to become convinced to jump on the VM bandwagon, but I'm a true believer now.

Ok well maybe i'll try ubuntu64 w/ 2xqtemu each running ubuntu.....that should ensure that i avoid the quad only WUs and who knows maybe it will be just a tad faster than using windows....

Back