• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Build Idea 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FnOwned

After reading the comments and getting feedback from me coworkers I have redesigned my build. Making it both cheaper and aligning more inline with my plan. First this build is centered around gaming. I regularly play a variety of games on PC and would like a rounded system. Second I want a Full Tower so if I upgrade components I have the room to do so. I have checked all dimensions, compatibility, and reviews. I need help making sure I didn't miss anything and that this build will be able to perform. Thanks for all of those who have already commented and I have listened to your concerns and here is my new build.

PROCESSOR
AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard
Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Graphics Card
Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO WHITE Video Card

Case
Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Power supply
Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

There is no CPU cooler because a coworker informed me that AMD comes with a cooler and has informed me that it is actually a solid cooler. So to save money I currently don't have one listed. If needed I will add one. Anyways thanks for your time.

Last edited:
What are you going to use it for? What's your budget?

While a 550W power supply should be adequate, I would look for a higher quality model than the CX - while serviceable the PSU is one of the most important components. Check the motherboard QVL for memory compatability and also the memory manufacturer website. You can also probably get 3200MHz to work well without too much trouble, so that might be worth an upgrade. While the G100M might look cool, it might not be adequate for the 2700X if you plan to overclock. It may not be much better than the stock cooler, in fact. I would look for a tower with heat pipes for an aftermarket cooler. I haven't read specific reviews, and it appears to be rated for 130W TDP (the 2700X is 105W stock), but you should at least investigate further. Here is one review that does not appear to be favorable. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterair-g100m,5650.html

I agree with the above...

If you plan to overclock, I would get a better cooler. If you aren't overclocking, what you chose should be fine.

If he won't overclock, doesn't ryzen x come with good enough stock air cooler that will do adequate job?

I want to use this build for gaming and I am thinking of over-clocking, also I have changed these listed parts in my plan:

CPU Cooler:
Noctua - NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler

Power Supply
EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Depending on your need for this computer and when you plan to buy the parts, 3rd gen Ryzen is supposedly a couple of months away. You could get the 2700X for less if you can wait. Or one of the new 3rd gen options.

Definitely check the RAM compatibility. Otherwise pretty solid build.

The cooler that comes boxed with the 2700x is way better than the one you have in your parts picker list. Unless, that is you are going for he CM because of it's unique design and you want a flying saucer inside your computer.

I will be using 1080p and I have taken out the UFO CPU and replaced it with a much more practical CPU cooler.

I would also upgrade your RAM to 3200 mhz. Won't make a huge difference but not much price difference either over 3000 mhz. 3200 mhz is considered to be the sweet spot with Ryzen. If you are in the US here is a great deal on GSKill Flare 3200 mhz geared for AMD:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-DesktopMemory-_-20232767-S1A4A&ignorebbr=1

Some have said Corsair is not the best choice for Ryzen when it comes to RAM compatibility.

Also, a 850 watt PSU is overkill for one RTX 2060. You chose a good brand of PSU but you could easily get buy with a 650 watt unit and save some bucks there.

The cooler change is certainly an upgrade over your original choice but I'm not sure it will be much of an upgrade over the stock Wraith Prism Cooler that comes with the 2700x. Most people find that the Wraith Prism Cooler is adequate for stock clocks and even for a mild overclock. I would encourage you to just try it and evaluate before buying a third party cooler. The Wraith Prism is a surprisingly effective cooling solution and it's free!

Last edited:
You need to verify your components. You said above,
CASE
Lian-Li - PC-O11D Razer ATX Full Tower Case
But as seen here it is a "mid" tower.

I see just one drive and one expansion card on your list. So NO WAY do you need a "full" tower case. There are plenty of outstanding mid tower cases that will serve you in an equally outstanding manner - easily supporting all the drives and expansion cards that MSI motherboard supports - and then some.

In terms of dimensions, all a full tower gives you is addition height. Width and depth are the same so working inside is just as easy. So if it is indeed the PC-O11D Razer "Mid" tower you are considering, then great. But if you really wanted a "full" tower, I think you should reconsider.

In fact, I think you should reconsider your case choice regardless. According to the Overview specs, that case does not come with any fans! :screwy: (Scroll to specifications listed at the bottom of the Overview section).

Back in the day when steel cases ruled, Lian LI aluminum cases set the standard for aluminum cases. Today, I personally feel they rely too much on their name and don't live up the standards of other case makers. I like Fractal Design cases for their design, build quality, cooling options (including the included fans), and quietness.

I also suggest you think hard about if you really want RGB lighting or not. Yes, it looks cool - but for how long? Once the novelty wears off, will you still like it? Or will you find it distracting? After all, it is what's on your monitor(s) that really matters, right? Does RGB improve performance? Nope.

Another thing about the case you chose is that you will be limited to CPU coolers of 155mm in height. The best air coolers are typically 160mm or even taller. So if you really want to improve the cooling over and above the stock boxed Wraith Prism you need to look at a case that will accommodate a taller cooler or . . . go with an all in one water cooling solution. And the case you chose is quite expensive. Would you be better off in going with a less expensive case and investing the savings in better cooling?

By the way, what is your budget?

thats a badass case. its among the sweetest cube style cases out there. cases and monitors are the two parts of a rig i dont compromise on. if your going to have to look at it everyday you better like it! it would be nice if mannies stopped including case fans altogether. im full up on unwanted case fans. ive become a case fan snob in my old age.

Back