• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My FIRST EVER watercooled machine. Will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HOST1LE

My FIRST EVER watercooled machine. Now has intended Hardware List

I have never built a machine with liquid cooling before and im going all out for my first one.
It has THREE separate loops.
This is a rough diagram of both the flow paths and case setup.
Please give me any thoughts or suggestions you have

Loop Diagram

Case Diagram

btw, the colors don't just differentiate the loops, but are actually the color of UV coolant going to be used.

MBoard : Rampage II Extreme (reviews say NB & SB get quite hot)
HDD : 3x high end 1.5TB SataII drives in RAID5 config
Case : Thermaltake Spedo Advanced kit

and money is really no option as I'm going to be making a lot of money at the start of next year, and this baby is my little treat to me.
My philosophy with this thing is that if I can, why don't I, hence the quality of the system, and this config will no doubt change between now and then with even more high end parts as they become available.

Another consideration is I want to have everything internal to the case.
The main things im after from you guys is not is it exorbitant; I know it is.
I want to know things from a technical perspective. Will the radiators cause too much ambient heat inside the case with no other fans present (im modding the case side to take out that huge fans and replace with clear perspex). WILL IT BE QUIET??? Big one.

Last edited:
I have never built a machine with liquid cooling before and im going all out for my first one.
It has THREE separate loops.
This is a rough diagram of both the flow paths and case setup.
Please give me any thoughts or suggestions you have

btw, the colors don't just differentiate the loops, but are actually the color of UV coolant going to be used.

What is your Budget, if your going to run 3 loops.. I'm guessing your going to SLI??? 3 Loops Why?? What exactly are you trying to cool. Your Parts Cpu, Gpus, Nb, Sb?

Personally speaking, you're wasting SEVERAL hundred dollars on unneeded WCing parts. Cooling the RAM and HDD's is pretty much useless for anything other than the "cool" factor. I'd run two loops with the CPU and mofsetts in one loop and the NB/SB and GPU's in the other. A pair of 320 rads would be perfectly fine for this.

Axis

diagram links up now

No one cooles there hole computer any more...Its RES, Pump, Cpu, Gpu, Rad..............Resvuor(spelling) to pump. to cpu. to cpu. to rad........

RES
PUMP
CPU
GPU
NORTHBRIDGE
SOUTHBRIDGE
MOSFETS
HARDDRIVE
RADATOR

You don't need 3 loops..Unless your running two high end graphics cards and have them over clocked and your on a quad core 1 loop is fine
D

The NB/SB block says X58 on it, so it's a I7 system. With a highly OC'd I7, the NB does get quite hot. The mofsetts are debateable though.

Axis

Thats debatable....OP unless your running 2sli cards or tri sli, you will only need 2 loops if you want to cool your nb/sb too....don't even look at 3 loops its not nessary, even thoughs i7s do run H0T. You will be fine with 2 loops if your sli and want to cool the nb/sb. If your just 1 Gpu/Cpu/Nb/Sb 1 loop is plenty with good pump

If he has an i7 overclocked, a 295, and wants to cool the SB/NB one normal rad is NOT enough. We can't just say it's enough with the small amount of info he gave us.

More info before I'll suggest any final setup for the op. I won't give blanket statements like that out to anyone. We don't know what GPUs he's running, what if he wants to run the Koolance 350 block, it's a flow killer for sure.

If he has an i7 overclocked, a 295, and wants to cool the SB/NB one normal rad is NOT enough. We can't just say it's enough with the small amount of info he gave us.

More info before I'll suggest any final setup for the op. I won't give blanket statements like that out to anyone. We don't know what GPUs he's running, what if he wants to run the Koolance 350 block, it's a flow killer for sure.

I just picked up a Black Ice Gtx 480, quad rad...Mount that bad boy outside your case it slove all your problems

Maybe, whatever you want to do. Suggesting info when you haven't even got one WC rig under your belt might be a bit..... After watercooling for a while and reading forums for a few years then you'll know all the tricks to the trade.

Maybe, whatever you want to do. Suggesting info when you haven't even got one WC rig under your belt might be a bit..... After watercooling for a while and reading forums for a few years then you'll know all the tricks to the trade.

A bit what??...That would solve his problem won't it, adding 10 loops wouldn't do very much? He needs a bigger rad, correct?...Just because I haven't gone to water doesn't mean I don't know jack. I had my q6600 on Air loading at 54 95% stable 3.6 70% stable at 62 C...I Been trying to switch over to water about 4 times, Just couldn't fork up all the money to do it.

Personally speaking, you're wasting SEVERAL hundred dollars on unneeded WCing parts. Cooling the RAM and HDD's is pretty much useless for anything other than the "cool" factor. I'd run two loops with the CPU and mofsetts in one loop and the NB/SB and GPU's in the other. A pair of 320 rads would be perfectly fine for this.

Axis

Basically this. Don't watercool your hard drives or RAM ever. There's no point. Ever.

A bit what??...That would solve his problem won't it, adding 10 loops wouldn't do very much? He needs a bigger rad, correct?...Just because I haven't gone to water doesn't mean I don't know jack. I had my q6600 on Air loading at 54 95% stable 3.6 70% stable at 62 C...I Been trying to switch over to water about 4 times, Just couldn't fork up all the money to do it.

It's premature to offer advice if you've never built your own watercooling setup. He's right. I've only set up one, so I offer advice when I have read a lot about it or done it myself, but most of the time, I just know the general rules and not specifics. Wait until your first setup is complete, it's running well, and after you've read enough to really know what you're talking about, then offer advice.

as said water cooling ram and hdd's is a waste of money and you can get away with 1 or 2 loops pending on the specs.

and i have to agree with people chase, with what you said in your post at EOF i would be watching threads more so then offering advice. wait until you build your loop.

Here is the intended config:
MBoard : Rampage II Extreme (reviews say NB & SB get quite hot)
HDD : 3x high end 1TB SataII drivs in RAID5 config
Case : Thermaltake Spedo Advanced kit

and money is really no option as I'm going to be making a lot of money at the start of next year, and this baby is my little treat to me.
My philosophy with this thing is that if I can, why don't I, hence the quality of the system, and this config will no doubt change between now and then with even more high end parts.

Another consideration is I want to have everything internal to the case.
The main things im after from you guys is not is it exorbitant; I know it is.
I want to know things from a technical perspective. Will the radiators cause too much ambient heat inside the case with no other fans present (im modding the case side to take out that huge fans and replace with clear perspex). WILL IT BE QUIET??? Big one.

Thanks for the consice input HOSTILE.

For the 965, you plan to OC it quite a bit and you can on the i7, I have seen peeps try and a 120x2 rad isn't enough. You will need a 120x3 sized rad alone, with it's own pump/rad/res.

Those GPU's will be rather happy with a 120x3 rad in it's own loop like above. GPU's like lower temps somewhat, the big issue is the noise and problems with close to each other GPUs in SLI using air cooling. As long as your temps are less than stock by quite a bit and you reduce the noise you can still get decent (meaning not world class overclocks got $5000) overclocks. Your Delta T water temps should be acceptable. So a 120x3 rad should be fine for two 295's.

So. You need a case with good airflow and raddage room. I would look at Mountain Mods for the case. Ohh $400 easy. be careful, many many mods availible.

Pick a Thermochill/Feser/XSPC rad for each loop. Meaning ONE big 120x3 for the CPU, and another for the GPU loop. I'm hoping the rad for the GPU loop is big enough, but your Delta T isn't as critical in a GPU loop. You should be okay, unless your going to voltmod the GPUs.

I only mention those 3 rad brands because of ther ability to soak up the heat and thier low noise, The Swiftech MCR series is almost, and I mean close to the above mentioned rads at much less cost. Then we have the absolute king of radage, the Black Ice Extreme. You are at the max limit in heat, and are pretty much deaf or just want MAX and hell with your sanity, look at these rads. They DO pull more heat than any other rads under uber exreme conditions. You pay with massive $30 fans each and no hearing though.

Your not close to that. Get Thermochill/ Feser/XSPC for best cooling vs noise, MCR series for almost as good, then look to the BIX series if you want absolute best temps, but need LOUD fans.

Buy Yate Loon HS fans and a quality fan controller. If your ambient temps (like 25C max) are low then Yate Loon mediums are fine. You might want HS fans for the GPUs, but we ain't talking Delta fans, just nice and good Yate Loon Fans. Perferably from Petras if you want to go back and read fan test posts a few months ago. You should, really.

Pumps. I'm really picky here. MCP 355 and the XSPC aftermarket res tops. Built in res and best in class flow rates and pressure outputs. Cannot go wrong. Over $100 per, it sucks, I did it.

I'm ready to build, last parts arriving. Two loops, lots like your setup, except only two GTX 280's. ES 965 D0 stepping, from a special friend. One Thermochill 320 for the CPU, a 320 XSPC for my two GTX 280s. Lot like your loop.

GPU blocks, Danger Den, nuff said.

CPU block, since your smart, this week the Heat Killer block is the King. In 3 months we will see one that is .025 better. The heatkiller in a Rad/Pump/CPU is rockin.

And with the purchase of a massive case, your airflow over the NB/SB is fine with the added Antec SpotCool fan. No need to cool the NB/SB unless your are xtreme.

If your wanting xtreme, better ask at xtreme systems. I'm there also. More xtreme, less tolerant, but great info.

Last edited:
I'd recommend at least 2 loops ... the third is optional if you go triple rads with the 2 loops. But, nothing wrong with 3, especially if you're going for a lot of color in your loops.

I find the mosfets get hotter than the NB/SB (but that's with the ASUS P6T DELUXE and EVGA X58), so that would be first priority over the NB/SB.

I think it would be a mistake to load up a case with rads but not have any other fans, unless you can balance things with your rad fans - that would require having some of them actually exhausting warm air from the case to the outside. Not necessarily ideal, but won't kill you on your GPU loop.

Agred shazza, having two many rads can overwhelm a case and the inside components. Running two 120x3 rads and using cool room air first to the rads (number two on the WC rules) means the case will need awesome air flow. Meaning a case with many many fan possibilities. The standard case doesn't work anymore in these extreme situations.

Your xtreme wanting a 965 overclocked and two 295 in a case. So after considering the massive WC cost, now you need to get a case costing $100ssss just to get good cooling.

Yep, shazza brings up a good point. Airflow is king, so a case to do it all matters.

shazza, what case would you buy to make it work? Or add a third loop, then what case would work?

Back