• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximizer928

I am a first time pc builder and fairly new to pc gaming. I wanted to make a computer that would be great for gaming but also good for all other computer functions. I don't have a strict budget but I don't want to pay more than I have to obviously. Here are the components that I have picked out. I may want to overclock it as we'll so I have picked out things that I believe will work for that.

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

After market fan:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

Motherboard:ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Storage-HDD: Western Digital WD SE WD3000F9YZ 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Storage-SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

I wanted some more opinions on whether this will work or not as well as any suggestions for changes. Also, I'm pretty sure it will but, is it going to fit in the case well? I am going to get windows 7 and install that and applications to the SDD and data to the HDD. Thanks in advance for the help and replies.

Your CPU and motherboards are not compatible. You need either a socket 1155 for the Ivy Bridge processor, or a Hawell processor for the Z87 Sabertooth.

Buying new, I would move to the Haswell platform and a 4670K. The platform you are building on is dead (no more CPU upgrades) versus Haswell that has one and just recently came out. From scratch, build on the newest platform.

That means a Z87 based motherboard (which would NOT work with the 3570K you selected). I do not recommend the Sabertooth. It is a solid board, however it is pricey for the feature set. You are basically paying for a dust cover and a 5 year warranty. I'd rather pay $100 less for a 3 year warranty board personally. But if that is your preference, so be it.

Id also get a GTX 760 instead of a 670. Its $100 less expensive, and performs only a hair behind the 670.

For the SSD, go 840 PRO instead of the vanilla. Faster write speeds and a better SSD overall.

Unless you want to go 2x GPUs, a 500W PSU is fine for any single card and overclocking involved.

Buying new, I would move to the Haswell platform and a 4670K. The platform you are building on is dead (no more CPU upgrades) versus Haswell that has one and just recently came out. From scratch, build on the newest platform.

That means a Z87 based motherboard (which would NOT work with the 3570K you selected). I do not recommend the Sabertooth. It is a solid board, however it is pricey for the feature set. You are basically paying for a dust cover and a 5 year warranty. I'd rather pay $100 less for a 3 year warranty board personally. But if that is your preference, so be it.

Id also get a GTX 760 instead of a 670. Its $100 less expensive, and performs only a hair behind the 670.

For the SSD, go 840 PRO instead of the vanilla. Faster write speeds and a better SSD overall.

Unless you want to go 2x GPUs, a 500W PSU is fine for any single card and overclocking involved.

:thup: Trust the man op, he's the expert, see the 10 blue stars the guy have

Maximizer928, Welcome to the Forum, it nice to see someone come here and have then think about what they are buying and not just pick the most expensive parts.

First problem is you picked a 1155 socket chip and a 1150 socket motherboard. So if you want to stay current on your system get the I5 4670k. If you're ok with the last generation processor which is still a really good processor then get a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard. It has been a really good motherboard for myself and it will overclock that chip nicely.

If you are planning on overclocking, the CM 212 is a really good heatsink for the money, though you may not be able to get either of those processors to 4.5 on it. I say 4.5 because it seems to be the magic number people want to reach these days.

Unless you plan on getting a second GPU in the future the PSU is a bit overkill. You can get away with a CX 500 for that build or a 650 if you want to give yourself a little bit of headroom.

The GPU you picked out is a generation old now and again absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm just bringing it to your attention, if you want to stay current. Personally, I'd save a little money and get an AMD 7950 over the 670 but that's me.

EDIT: I must type really slow, I though I was going to be the first to respond, damn these slow fingers.

:thup: Trust the man op, he's the expert, see the 10 blue stars the guy have
The stars mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Post count, that is it. :thup:

I had this knowledge when I walked in to this site with zero posts. ;)

You should also know that using some colors, it is very difficult to read on the black theme. :)

Wow I totally missed that the CPU won't fit. Thanks. I'm looking into the Haswell processors now

What I would do:
CPU: i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Phanteks TC14PE
RAM: Same
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
GPU: GTX770
PSU: Corsair CX500
HDD: Caviar Blue or Seagate
SSD: Corsair Neutron
(Sizes for storage are up to you)
Case: HAF912

What I would do:
CPU: i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Phanteks TC14PE
RAM: Same
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
GPU: GTX770
PSU: Corsair CX500
HDD: Caviar Blue or Seagate
SSD: Corsair Neutron
(Sizes for storage are up to you)
Case: HAF912

The only change i would make is that if you have room and want a full-tower case then a HAF X instead of the 912.

There's no reason anyone who has a standard 1-2 GPU system that isn't custom water cooled needs a full tower really. And I find the HAF X a bit overpriced for what it's worth, there are better quality cases in that price range.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
If you a doing a walk in at micro center then you might as well take advantage of the combo deal they have on the 4670k, $40.00. In addition if you're planning on overclocking I wouldn't be doing it on the Pro 3. You can get the Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 for $104.00 at micro with the combo deal, it's a better board for overclocking.

Don't need 16GB of RAM, most likely. Stick to 1600, cheaper, no real performance loss.

That CPU price is in store only for Microcenter, and you pay sales tax. If you do happen to live by one, then they'll give you $40 off if you buy that CPU with any Z87 board.

ASRock Pro series is low end, get the Extreme series.

The Crucial M4 is a old and slow SSD line by this point in time. There are much faster options on the market.

The hard drive you got is not a consumer drive, it's an enterprise drive, and that's why it's so expensive.

EVGA power supplies are meh.

Back