• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new rig is on the way!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but can you have 2 chokes per phase?

Yes, even more per phase is possible, actually they use 2 inductors per phase in parralel to increase the current capability and reducing the inductor's wire resistance which is a good thing.

But, more "true" phases benefits beats the technque of using more inductors in each phases.

If you have the mobo and understand the topology, just trace the copper traces on those inductors, you will know they're on single phase when both their copper traces are in parralel, or just count for many mosfet "driver chips" (not the mosfet), that will determine how many phases they put into the mobo.

Another approach, each pair of mosfets is always equal to single phase. :)

Sorry, on the tech speak, can't be more simple than that ! :D

Edit : I did post the chips id on your thread here too.

Last edited:
Yes, even more per phase is possible, actually they use 2 inductors per phase in parralel to increase the current capability and reducing the inductor's wire resistance which is a good thing.

But, more "true" phases benefits beats the technque of using more inductors in each phases.

If you have the mobo and understand the topology, just trace the copper traces on those inductors, you will know they're on single phase when both their copper traces are in parralel, or just count for many mosfet "driver chips" (not the mosfet), that will determine how many phases they put into the mobo.

Another approach, each pair of mosfets is always equal to single phase. :)

Sorry, on the tech speak, can't be more simple than that ! :D

Edit : I did post the chips id on your thread here too.

The more technical the better for me! I've got a Computer Engineering degree, but don't pretend to understand everything about the specifics on how these motherboards work. I'm always open to learning, and that's half the reason I'm here. The other half is to help those that can benefit from my knowledge. :beer:

BTW thanks for IDing those chips. I read right past it before, but that bit of info coupled w/ this explanation really helps solidify it in my head. Thanks!

My Asus P5K Premium arrived this evening! And I have to say it is pretty sweet. I just got everything put together, and am re-installing XP now. Hopefully I'll be able to OC a little tonight. It's kind of late, though, so it just depends on how fast I can get XP, drivers, and updates installed. Then the fun begins!

I'll post results asap!

Great ! Expecting to see your result, especially compared with your previous one.

Excellent!

I just picked up my Q6600 G0 today. A local shop had one in and they called me, and I got an excellent price on it. ($278) I really did want to go with TG, but with the billing issues and it being probly 2 weeks or more to get it, I couldn't wait. (He had a message up that he was out of stock again)

FPO/Batch: L723A674
Pack Date: 8/3/07

Keep us up to date on how that puppy runs!

My VID is 1.325...yuck!

That doesn't mean I'm doomed, but I have to say I'm disappointed. My buddy got a B3 x3210 w/ a May pack date and his was 1.225.

At stock Vcore, speed I'm at 48/49/46/46 on P95 load. No lapping.

I think I need to re-install XP from scratch. That repair job, just doesn't seem to be working right. Booting is taking way too long. Between the Windows screen w/ the blue bar and the desktop the screen is black for an awfully long time. My old PC is faster booting up.

Besides that I was playing a little w/ the OC last night. I was having trouble getting windows to boot using manual voltages @3.2GHz, so I put them on auto temporarily. It's P95 stable (for about 10min anyway) and CPU-Z is showing about 1.45v. Temps are 67/67/62/62.

What should I set Vanderpool to?

What about Intel Robson technology?

I think I need to re-install XP from scratch. That repair job, just doesn't seem to be working right. Booting is taking way too long. Between the Windows screen w/ the blue bar and the desktop the screen is black for an awfully long time. My old PC is faster booting up.

Besides that I was playing a little w/ the OC last night. I was having trouble getting windows to boot using manual voltages @3.2GHz, so I put them on auto temporarily. It's P95 stable (for about 10min anyway) and CPU-Z is showing about 1.45v. Temps are 67/67/62/62.

What should I set Vanderpool to?

What about Intel Robson technology?

I have the same board you do, and I just disabled both of those. No clue what they are though.

What a PITA!!!!

I mentioned earlier that it seemed Windows was taking way too long to boot. I tried a re-install when I got home today. I was still running at 3.2GHz, and I got a BSOD when the install was almost complete. I went back down to 2.66GHz, and the exact same thing happened again. I tried again at stock, and a couple times my PC wouldn't even POST...WTF!!! I read some guides for this MoBo and disabled a few more things. I got it running good again, and Windows finally installed. I set the paging file, and re-booted. My RAID 0 failed!!!! This is getting ridiculous. I've read this MoBo sometimes has problems w/ the RAID, so I am currently doing another (must be the 5th time) install on a non-RAID'd drive. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it!

Only good thing is that after reading those guides I have more hope I can get a higher OC w/ some of these settings disabled. We shall see.

What a PITA!!!!

I mentioned earlier that it seemed Windows was taking way too long to boot. I tried a re-install when I got home today. I was still running at 3.2GHz, and I got a BSOD when the install was almost complete. I went back down to 2.66GHz, and the exact same thing happened again. I tried again at stock, and a couple times my PC wouldn't even POST...WTF!!! I read some guides for this MoBo and disabled a few more things. I got it running good again, and Windows finally installed. I set the paging file, and re-booted. My RAID 0 failed!!!! This is getting ridiculous. I've read this MoBo sometimes has problems w/ the RAID, so I am currently doing another (must be the 5th time) install on a non-RAID'd drive. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it!

Only good thing is that after reading those guides I have more hope I can get a higher OC w/ some of these settings disabled. We shall see.

Thats interesting to see actually.... I just set up my P5K P with my Q6600 tonight, and i ran into problems too. I used my E6600 to boot so i could flash bios (Asus EZflash is THE bomb. I burn the bios onto a CD and flash it from there, easy as cake)

When i installed my e6600 for the first time though, the board wouldn't boot. I reset it a few times and the monitor light never came on. I cycled the power and it told me my overclock failed. Overclock failed? i hadn't even seen the bios screen yet!

After that though, i updated the bios, set up my raid, and was SHOCKED when windows vista didn't complain about having too much new hardware with the new motherboard in place

Anywho, good luck jason, looking forward to your results!

EDIT: LMFAO no sooner did i post that, and windows popped up with the validation screen!!!!!!! I think someone from microsoft is watching! LOL

When i installed my e6600 for the first time though, the board wouldn't boot. I reset it a few times and the monitor light never came on. I cycled the power and it told me my overclock failed. Overclock failed? i hadn't even seen the bios screen yet!

When mine didn't POST it was the same thing you mentioned...the monitor light didn't even turn on, and then it said OC failed...when it was at stock!

I'm in Windows now, though...finally. Installing the drivers, and then doing a little testing before I head to bed.

Good luck to you as well. From what I've read these Asus boards can be a PITA, but once you get them working right they can't be beat. :beer:

Edit: My boot time is a lot better now. Something is wrong w/ the way the Asus BIOS is handling the ICH9R or something. Asus, if your reading this, FIX IT!!!

Here's my old case. Notice the custom drilled 80mm fan holes.

p8250127gf0.jpg

p8250128sp9.jpg

p8250129ov0.jpg

My new rig! Look how it glows! :drool:

j/k...I do love it, though!

p8250126fq7.jpg

p8250130vf3.jpg

p8250131jq9.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality...I've had a few :beer:

It's actually only 3-4" taller than the black Armor case, and a bit skinnier. It's very old...I don't know where you'd find one. It was a hand-me-down that I modified a bit! :beer:

I can take a pic of the inside if you want, but it'll have to be tomorrow...it's late, and it's not the easiest case to get inside of.

I just wanted to wrap this up w/ a price break-down. For the amount of horsepower I have this thing is a steal! 3DMark06 12,336!!!

CPU- Xeon x3210 G0 @ saveateagle.com $259.50 free s/h
Case- TT Armor w/ 250mm side fan @ ClubIT.com $159.99 - $30 MIR free s/h
Case fan- iCage for TT Armor w/ 120mm fan @ TigerDirect? ~$22 s/h included in price
PSU- Silverstone Zeus 560W @ DeadEyeData.com $131.18 s/h included in price
GPU- 8800GTS 320 SC @ ClubIT.com $232.77 - $15 MIR s/h included in price

HS- TR U-120-X @ SVC.com $54.99
Fan- 115CFM 120mm fan (Panaflo?) @ SVC.com $17.99
Fan controller- SunBeam Rheobus 4ch 20W/ch @ SVC.com $11.95
Round cables- round IDE, and floppy @ SVC.com $6.18
SVC s/h- $10.35

DVD-Burner- LITE-ON LH-20A1P-186 BK @ NewEgg.com $29.99
DVD-ROM- GDR-8164BK 16X52X BK @ NewEgg.com $17.99
Floppy- Black @ NewEgg.com $6.99
NewEgg s/h- $12.07

MoBo- Asus P5K Premium @ NewEgg.com $229.99 s/h- $7.14 s/h
RAM- 2GB Ballistix DDR2-800 @ NewEgg.com $114.99 - $45 MIR free s/h

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand total = $1,326.06 - $90MIR = $1,236.06

That's about $0.10 for every 3DMark point fwiw.

I just wanted to wrap this up w/ a price break-down. For the amount of horsepower I have this thing is a steal! 3DMark06 12,336!!!

CPU- Xeon x3210 G0 @ saveateagle.com $259.50 free s/h
Case- TT Armor w/ 250mm side fan @ ClubIT.com $159.99 - $30 MIR free s/h
Case fan- iCage for TT Armor w/ 120mm fan @ TigerDirect? ~$22 s/h included in price
PSU- Silverstone Zeus 560W @ DeadEyeData.com $131.18 s/h included in price
GPU- 8800GTS 320 SC @ ClubIT.com $232.77 - $15 MIR s/h included in price

HS- TR U-120-X @ SVC.com $54.99
Fan- 115CFM 120mm fan (Panaflo?) @ SVC.com $17.99
Fan controller- SunBeam Rheobus 4ch 20W/ch @ SVC.com $11.95
Round cables- round IDE, and floppy @ SVC.com $6.18
SVC s/h- $10.35

DVD-Burner- LITE-ON LH-20A1P-186 BK @ NewEgg.com $29.99
DVD-ROM- GDR-8164BK 16X52X BK @ NewEgg.com $17.99
Floppy- Black @ NewEgg.com $6.99
NewEgg s/h- $12.07

MoBo- Asus P5K Premium @ NewEgg.com $229.99 s/h- $7.14 s/h
RAM- 2GB Ballistix DDR2-800 @ NewEgg.com $114.99 - $45 MIR free s/h

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand total = $1,326.06 - $90MIR = $1,236.06

That's about $0.10 for every 3DMark point fwiw.

Great closure to a very informative thread Jason, nice work....!!!

Back