• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My parallel LCD project HOWTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a really good tutorial, very indepth!

I may use it to install a LCD in my case!!

I REALLY wanted a USB display, but they are expensive. For $50.00 you get just the dispaly, you still have to buy the cable, and something else (I can't remember now).

So for half the price, I have the same display, and lots of left over electronic parts.

That was really my goal. LCDs on the cheap:cool:

I wish the USB LCD's were cheaper! I would save me quite a bit of time/money.

wow!, that's a great write up! looks sweet too. I'd def give that a go, but I need my parallel port for my scanner and printer :(

very nice!!! I've been trying to decide which screen to go with for awhile.......those 2 were great choices! Looks like the green one has more screen options though....or does the blue one also do graphs and VU meters?

LCDs are so damn expensive!

Last edited:
The screens can both display the same things. It's the software that determines what's on the screen. The green one is running LCDproc on Linux, while the blue one is using CrystalControl on WinXP.

If you're careful, you can install one of these for less than $50.00

Mike

damn. i really want an LCD but i dont want to have to cut up my Lian Li case.. and all my 5 1/2 slots are taken :(. .. they cant fit in the 3.5 slots cant they?

Yeah, but the PCB's footprint is larger than the 2 3.5" slots. So you end up with the PCB extending out over the front bezel.

For example, the mounting bolts on my LCD are actually epoxied to the front bezel, and not the slot covers.

That's why all the manufacturers sell kits to fit them into 5 1/2" bays.

You can do it, but it'll have to be custom.

ll_gpo_light.jpg

He wrote a little guide here:

http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=500

Mike

i see.. so it'd be better just getting a full tower for the extra 5 1/4 bays so it could fit.. Thanks for the help :). If i do decide to do a custom mod to my case ill probably put the lcd on the top of my case so i woudlnt have to look at the front of it when its on the floor, plus it'd look pretty snazzy. another question: the usb lcd's they just pretty much plug right into the usb without any extensive wiring or what?

Yeah, that's the great thing about them. One wire and you're done.

Check the matrix orbital forum, they have both an internal and external mounting gallery. Some pretty cool stuff in there.

Mike

Golden..
you coould mount the LCD outside the case in its own little box and/or stand... they look good external too!!

my 2 cents
Charlie

CrystalMethod said:
Great "How To" guide! Poke for a sticky.

I want to second that........as windows and painting are still nice, something new/different like LCDs are a needed addition to the modding scene.......at least IMO

Back