• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My waiting for the UPS man Sandybridge build log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveHCYJ

This is really just a thread because I'm bored and UPS hasn't brought all my Sandybridge stuff yet.

I wrote a review of my Coolermaster ACTS 840 case a month ago when I got it. Since then parts have been trickling in so I thought I'd do a build log while I wait for the rest.

Day 1
Starting out with my empty case.
_MG_0065.jpg

The only other part I have so far is the power supply. (Dear Newegg, where is that RAM I ordered a week ago, your tracking number is still not working...)
Power supply installed; motherboard standoffs ready.
_MG_0066.jpg

The motherboard should be here tomorrow. Maybe in the mean time you guys can help me brainstorm ideas of how to mod my front panel connector to use the USB3.0 "box" that comes with the Asus P8P67 deluxe. Here is the front and back of the front panel.
_MG_0067.jpg
_MG_0070.jpg
I'm thinking I'm going to have to somehow get the whole popup panel out so I can take it apart.

Day 2
ups.jpg
My motherboard was out for delivery this morning and then apparently the UPS truck broke down and went back home :confused: :eh?: No progress today.

UPS ended up showing up like 4 hours later than they normaly do. :shrug:
It turns out I probably won't be able to mod my front panel connectors to update them for USB3.0 anyway. The cable on the front panel box included with the motherboard is way too short.
_MG_0073.jpg

Even installed in the expected location as a floppy drive the cable barely reaches. I guess my case is larger than normal, but Asus sure didn't give you much wiggle room on where you want to put this thing.
_MG_0076.jpg

Its all good though. It looks just fine installed in the floppy location.
_MG_0074.jpg

Got the motherboard mounted. Hopefully the rest of my stuff will be here tomorrow.
_MG_0077.jpg

If you looked close at the last pic you'll see I left off a few of the mobo mounting screws. Its because I may end up needing to pull it back off. It turns out the cutout in my case's motherboard tray doesn't quite line up with the socket and two of the wholes are slightly covered. Hopefully it won't be a problem; it would be a shame if I can make use of that feature of my case. I wonder who's fault this is: Coolermaster, Asus, or none and the specs for placement are just different for 1155 than previous sockets. Its funny, my previous Coolermaster ATCS and Asus deluxe board for socket 775 had the oposite problem -- the case had a side air duct too close to the front of the case while the mobo had the socket too close to the back, now I've got the reverse problem. :sly:
_MG_0081.jpg

Day 3
Everything arrived... except my RAM. On a positive note its finally got shipping information; it will be here Saturday :-/ 7 days longer than everything else took.

Since I'm waiting on the RAM to install the cooler and waiting on the cooler installation to do everything else, there isn't much to show.
Here is the CPU waiting for the cooler on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe:
_MG_0088.jpg

Here is the Noctua NH-D14 waiting to get installed. Aww look at that cute little stock intel cooler, you just want to pinch its cheeks. :)
_MG_0082.jpg

Another shot compared to the intel cooler.
_MG_0086.jpg

Day 4
I wanted to wait until I had the cooler on to put the motherboard tray back and do all the wiring but I couldn't stand it any longer. I did all my wiring tonight. I think it turned out pretty well. There seems to be plenty of room to work for when my RAM finally shows up and I can stick it, the cooler, and graphics card in. It would have been nice if the hard drive power cables were a bit longer so I could have routed them behind the mobo tray with all the front panel connectors. And of course there is the short usb3.0 cable hanging out in the middle.
_MG_0099.jpg

Day 5
Took a bit to get this updated, I've been busy playing with it, and without the software needed to get pictures off my ancient SLR.
Here is a shot with the cooler installed. With the fan it just about covers all 4 RAM slots. I'm slightly concerned they won't get enough airflow.
_MG_0114.jpg

In this picture the RAM situation seems even worse; its completely boxed in. This is the final picture showing my old 8800GTS pulling temporary duty until the GTX560's are released hopefully before the end of the month. Notice also the tons of space behind the graphics card. In my old Coolermaster ATCS the power cord was bent pretty harshly as it bumped up against a hard drive.
_MG_0124.jpg

Last edited:
looking good so far,,,ups man he's kind of like santa huh?

Ups is a grown man's Santa :santa:

im liking the idea it broke down, then drove back home. anyway im gonna sub for when all the parts get here anyway :D

Yeah who knows what happened -- maybe the driver forgot his coffee. I was just confused by the tracking saying it left at 4:47am and returned to the warehouse 20 minutes later. Something strange definately happened because they showed up like 4 hours later than normal to my house.

Updated for Day 3. Getting antsy. Everything arrived except the ram, which strangely enough was the first thing I ordered, several days before Sandybridge was even on the market. Well not counting the case and psu which I got back in Nov/Dec.

That picture of that Noctua and the stock intel cooler cracks me up. Nice build so far!

Yeah, I was pretty shocked how small the intel stock cooler was. It seems like its half the size of the one that came with my Core2Duo. I guess that is a sign of how efficient sandybridge is.

Updated for day 4. RAM tracking still says expected delivery Saturday...

the sb cooler actually looks smaller than the i7 920 cooler I ripped apart.. seems like the actual height of the fins/block is 1/2" shorter or something.

Your captioning for the first cpu cooler with how cute the intel cooler is, is pretty funny. =P

I have the same problem with my case (Lancool pc-k62) and the motherboard tray cutout. The same 2 holes are covered just a bit more than they are for you. Hopefully I can still reach in there with a small wrench when I replace the cooler (using the crappy stock on for now, need to get a better one soon).

Looks sweeeet! Near same components are somewhere in Iowa right now. Get on the UPS truck and head south already! :)

Since you have the P8P67 - any issues with the BIOS that you ran into? I hear just upgrade to latest BIOS and roll with it.

Nice build!! The mobo appearance makes me giddy a little. Nothing like they use to be.

Benjamin.

Your captioning for the first cpu cooler with how cute the intel cooler is, is pretty funny. =P

:D

I have the same problem with my case (Lancool pc-k62) and the motherboard tray cutout. The same 2 holes are covered just a bit more than they are for you. Hopefully I can still reach in there with a small wrench when I replace the cooler (using the crappy stock on for now, need to get a better one soon).

Yeah, I ended up having to pull the board back off the tray to get the cooler installed. Oh well, it wasn't a huge deal and the removable motherboard tray at least makes it a bit more convenient.

Looks sweeeet! Near same components are somewhere in Iowa right now. Get on the UPS truck and head south already! :)

Since you have the P8P67 - any issues with the BIOS that you ran into? I hear just upgrade to latest BIOS and roll with it.

Nice build!! The mobo appearance makes me giddy a little. Nothing like they use to be.

Benjamin.

No game stopping issues so far with the bios but there are some quirks that need to be worked out still. You need to update to the latest to get your RAM to run at the correct speed (or at least I did), and make sure to clear the cmos a few times otherwise memtest won't work (yet everything else on the computer will function as normal; that one took a while to figure out :bang head). The AI Suite II software seems to not like x64 windows for some people. Only other minor thing is my usb drive will only boot if I go through the bios to trigger it. I'm sure these will all get worked out shortly though.

Oh and OP updated for Day 5, my ram came a day early.

Back