• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS upgrade: I want to go from RAID 0 to RAID 1+0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

Hello all, I want to go from a QNAP NAS with 2x3TB RAID 0 to a DIY Free-NAS with 4x3TB RAID 10. Can I: build the new NAS with 2 new HDDs in RAID 0 -> Transfer the files to the new array -> format old HDDS in old NAS-> add them to the new array and transition from RAID 0 to RAID 10? Is there a better option? Thanks!

In RAID 0, you can't remove any disks because there is no parity. I'm a bit confused why you'd run that type of RAID.

The only way to transfer data is to move it elsewhere and build the new array. You could technically transfer to the data to two drives in RAID 0, then move the old disks over into a new RAID 0 array, then put those two in RAID 1, but that isn't the same as putting them in RAID 10.

With that tight situation, I'd look at moving all the data off the old disks (not to the new ones) and building a RAID 5/6/10 array, then moving the data to the final version.

Back