• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nearly 10 years since the 8800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

I have been looking at upgrading my pc recently and it got me thinking about past great components.

Looking at new graphics cards now and all I see is the huge prices. Of course they blow this now ageing card out of the water but at the time you couldn't beat the 8800GT for price vs performance ratio.

Not only was this thing nice and thin compared to the other beasts in the 8800 series it also packed a punch that you didn't expect. I've never felt so happy with a pc upgrade and I've never had such a big performance leap from one upgrade so modestly priced.

For the same price as this card back in 2007 you can now only get the GTX 1060 from nvidia which is a true mid range card. The equivalent today would be like paying 1060 prices for a high end 1070 card.

It just seems very rare these days that you get that special graphics card or cpu that gives you 90% of the performance for 50% of the price

That's my post really, just a little remembrance of possibly the greatest graphics card ever made ????

Depends on how you look at it. Today a GTX 1070 is about 15 times more powerful in real-world computing power than a 8800GT. You said an 8800 was the same price as a 1060, which is about $150 cheaper than a 1070. So for only about 1.5x the price of an 8800 you're getting 15x the performance. The 1070 is a pretty good deal when you look at it that way.

Yes, I also think the 8800GT was a great card. Personally I've had the 8800GTS (512MB version - not the older 320/640) and it was awesome. The 8800 was one of the few cards that managed to run Crysis reasonably well (at that time). The gap between the 8800GT and the 8800GTX (the best card at that time) was also pretty small.

The 9800 on the other hand was just a re-branded 8800 if I remember correctly... total fail.

The 8800GT was a great card for the price, I had one and just liked the fact is was very close to the 8800GTX.

I as well had a 8800gt (2 even ) but not untill I killed my 8800gts320mb from a vmod . So for me it wasn't a that big of an upgrade . the 320mb really was good price/fps .

Back