• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 865PE OC tips :( !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want to put a link in, but you don't want the whole link to show up... what you can do is this.

[*url=www.something.com]LINK[/url*]

Haha I'm not used to this HTML style for this forum.. I wasn't sure how to do it. I guess I should of hit LINK and not IMAGE... blah!

HERE! =) Bimmerinfo.com

My RAM says Dual Channel when I boot... I would just try reseating it in banks 1&3 or 2*4 and see if that fixes the problem. You know RAM is picky sometimes just like PCI slots or AGP, sometimes the card or RAM just needs to be reseated.

Maybe I'll start PRIME tonight before I go to bed and let it run for about 16+ hours until I get back home from work tomorrow and see how it works. I have run it before without problems, but not for longer than 30 mins.

I did lower my temperature even more by around 3ºC-4ºC while Idling. What I did was I wanted to remove the stock Intel CPU Fan. Now, I realized once I had removed the fan that I could not lock the Heatsink into place because the Fan was built into part of the whole Intel LOCKDOWN of the heatsink.. So I just broke out the fan and used the shell which went over the Heatsink and then I was able to lock down the Heatsink. I was halfway done :) Next I angled a nice Panaflow 120mm fan slightly towards the NB (NorthBridge) chip directly and towards the rear of the system. I also placed a smaller 80mm Panaflow on top of the NB heatsink, after I removed that MSI eyecandy piece which was just resting on top of the NB heatsink... Otherwise it would of blocked airflow from both fans.

So basically... after removing the stock Intel CPU Fan I am now able to push more CFM directly over the heatink.... I could probably lower it slightly more if I was able to find another way to hold down the heatsink and remove the top portion that I currently need to hold down the heatink.. (I have no name for it).

If I decide to keep the setup in the current case, I will need to do some modding on the case because after I installed the ATI 9500 card it does put off some mad heat... but I think I am going to be making a custom Polycarbonate type of PC box, which will be used as a HTPC type of setup for this system, near my TV. I'm still working on the layout and how I want to let outside air into the system. I might even leave it open on the sides and just have 4 pillar like rods on the 4 corners to hold a top and bottom together.. as I said it's in the works.

So right now I'm right around 27ºC at idle with the side of the case off.. I'll watch it some and see what happens when I put the side on the case. I do know I need a bigger fan at the rear of the system. I took of the 120mm Panaflow to pass air over the CPU Heatsink and replaced it with an 80mm Panaflow with 1/4 less CFM. It's almost useless... That Panaflow is pimp heh it's got some noise but with the case closed it's not too audiable.

Ok!

That's it for now.

Cool :) Nice job with the temp drop.

but I think I am going to be making a custom Polycarbonate type of PC box,

Be advised that polycarb cases tend to have higher temps than alum. or steel cases b/c they don't allow radiant heat to pass through as easily as metal does. If you have good airflow through the case that shouldn't be a problem though. Have you looked in the Alt. Modding section? They have quite a few ideas for polycarb cases... this one chick made this great circuit board design on her polycarb case, so there's quite a few mods for them out there.

Well I raised up the Voltage to 1.575 and ran Prime95 on Blend. It looks like it ran for almost 5 hours before the PC locked up. The temperature was the same throughout.. right around 56ºC.

Now, I won't be running anything like that for that period of time...

I started Prime95 on 1.525 and it crapped out in 1 min.
1.5375 = 2 mins
1.55 = 36 mins (I think it was longer but I had the screensaver and monitor to power off.. and both times the pc returned an error when either of those came on) When I turned those off for the test below it was ok.
1.575 = 4.5 hours

It looks like my idle temp only went up about 2ºC from around 27ºC @ 1.525 to 29ºC at 1.575. I might raise it up to 1.59x volts and see if it lasts longer.

I assume that it's my CPU which is causing the problem... My ram is running @ stock speed of 250Mhz = DDR500 but I do have my video card o/c (see signature) with higher voltages for all.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I've also been looking at just buying some COPPER BARS or PLATES etc... I just wanted to play around and see if I could make a copper square section to go directly over my CPU... and then on top of the copper square section would be a normal heatsink... I want to see if the high thermal conductivity of the copper would lower my temperatures.... I know it should, but in what capacity and level is what I would be testing...

SO! If anyone knows where I can just buy copper in this form.. let me know.

I believe I would want Copper No. C10100
specs: Copper Residual 99.99%
Deoxidants:
Phosphorus .0003 max
Tellurium .0010 max

Thermal Conductivity BTU/ (sq ft-ft-hr-F) 226
Specific Heat BTU/lb/ºF @ 68F .092
Thermal Expansion Per °F from 68 F to 212 F .0000094
Density lb/cu in @ 68 F .323
Electrical Conductivity % IACS @ 68 F 101
Modulus of Elasticity KSI 17,000

Thanks!

I assume that it's my CPU which is causing the problem... My ram is running @ stock speed of 250Mhz = DDR500 but I do have my video card o/c (see signature) with higher voltages for all.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Yeah, I would imagine that it's probably your cpu..... try increasing it to 1.60V or so and see if that helps at all. I have my vcore set to 1.60V in BIOS but under load it drops to about 1.53V. If your temps climb too high, I would recommend just backing down your oc to 3 gigs or so until you get some better cooling.

I've also been looking at just buying some COPPER BARS or PLATES etc... I just wanted to play around and see if I could make a copper square section to go directly over my CPU... and then on top of the copper square section would be a normal heatsink... I want to see if the high thermal conductivity of the copper would lower my temperatures.... I know it should, but in what capacity and level is what I would be testing...

The only problem I can see with this is that although that huge block of copper will tranfer a lot of heat.... it's a block, so you'd find it very hard to dissipate the heat even with the regular HS on top. Because you'd need TIM in two locations, it's possible that your temps might even climb.

I think that when you add it up, it's probably not that much more to just buy a Thermalright, and they're the best when it comes to air cooling.

If you really want to make your own HS, I would recommend fabricating one that has lots of fins to dissipate the heat... just don't forget bolt holes so you can attach it to the cpu.

Just a thought :)

Later,

Meatball

heh Ya I don't think I could create something myself that would do a good job of dissipating heat, but I thought I would give it a shot.

When I say block, I didn't mean to say I would be putting a big block of copper on it. It would be say 1/4" to 1/2" and then put a normal heatsink on top of it... That's what my plan was, I wanted to see if the direct contact with copper first would dissipate most of the heat quickly off of the CPU onto a regular heatsink.. it would be 'stacked' on top of the copper plate/block whatever you want to call it.

I know I've seen similar designs where the bottom was copper but the rest of aluminum or some other material for the rest of the heatsink.

-

Back to the chip, I've been running folding @home for some time now.. It's been running strong. I think I'll just be happy with what I have for now... Maybe later I'll try to go up or something... Right now everthing is good.

Thanks

I know I've seen similar designs where the bottom was copper but the rest of aluminum or some other material for the rest of the heatsink.

Yeah, I know what your talking about.... the Vantec Aeroflow's design seems to work pretty well. They take a alum. HS and put a 1" copper plug in so that the copper contacts the IHS of the processor.... it seems to be pretty effective at cooling. If you wanted to do the copper plate idea I would recommend lapping both surfaces to a mirror finish and then putting a little AS5 in there to conduct the heat.... if you did that with the stock HS you might get a temp reduction.

If you wanted to avoid the TIM application, I would drill 4 countersunk holes ( so the screw heads are sunk into the copper and don't contact the IHS) in the copper and the alum. HS ( this is assuming that you lapped them both). Then I would take a bolt or screw and bolt the two pieces as tightly together as you can get them.... if both surfaces are close to perfectly flat you should be able to get a good seal without air getting between the two materials. That might act as a single mult-material HS rather than having two HS's seperated by TIM.

I think that sticking with that overclock would be a good idea.... I like having a continuously stable overclock rather than an unstable max overclock.

Good Luck on the HS idea :)

Back