• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a game for my 66 year old dad,AI based FPS War game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
System is PS3 or a somewhat aging C2duo with integrated graphics which ran WOW on low.
He wants to try a cheap game to start with IE $20 or less But if it fits well id pick up the rest if it keeps him busy.

But he was a single player vs AI with no online play set in WW1,WW2 or Vietnam.
I know some of the Battlefield series has Campaign modes, But im not so sure if its good enough to justify the expense? I play BF3 and i never played Campaign really.

BF1942 and 1943 seem all online oriented from what ive seen also.

Im now downloading "Arma II" Demo as it looks more AI based than online based, But the time line is wrong.

So if you have any suggestions please lmk.

The original Call of Duty and call of Duty: Unite Offensive expansion. My favorite two games of all time. Best games period. Still play them single player and online today.

What is the time line on them?
I just got done playing a Battlefield 2 Bad Company Demo which wasnt bad and it has the Vietnam expansion and seemed good on the AI side by itself, Just not sure on how the Vietnam pack would be.
I know i personally would like to try some of the older COD games back when they were Good and well respected as compared to the rep they get today.
Ill be loking for some Demo's on them tonight and see how that goes.

This may be off base, But how about some of the old Counter Strike games? Did they have any Single player AI games that were not too intense and older player may enjoy?

Last edited:
I just found COD the original on Origin for $19.99 and:
Buy Call of Duty®: War Chest
Includes 3 items: Call of Duty, Call of Duty® 2, Call of Duty: United Offensive for $29.99

To make sure he even play it i found an Original COD Demo for him to play in single fps mode. Im not so sure id play it much as i just bought 4 new games i want to play badley but i cant get my head out of battlefield 3 yet.

So if this doesnt do it for him a war game isnt for him.
Thanks for the help as i feel this is the perfect match for what i was looking for.

civilization is good for all ages because the pace is at your control (turn based) not and FPS but is very complicated. If you start on the easiest difficulty anyone can beat a map. i would go with civ4 over civ5. Also, some elder gamers like flight simulations but it is not cheap to get into. IL-2 sturmovik 1946 is very good and will run on an older computer and should be cheap but he will at least need a semi-decent joystick to play it which will cost about 30.

The thing is with that im fighting his attention span and what he finds interesting, WWI,WWII and VN he finds interesting and wouldnt mind a game with a little more action than "Tiger Woods Golf".
Which BTW he is very good at.

This may sound dumb, But what about some of those "Hunting" games? Most deers dont shoot back yet except in a few games im sure.
He could play at his own pace and if he screws up he isnt dead he just misses the shot. Sounds boring as heck to me, But am i wrong?

I played the COD Demo a bit which was a bit hard without configuring my gamepad, But i could see its pace being much more relaxed than online play. Heck i may go play BF3's Campaign just when i need a break from the stress also.
It was enjoyable even tho it was basic, No scope and open sights still gave me good range for long distance shots. Commands from a squad leader always made me feel part of the game not lost in it also.

Last edited:
Just a quick update.
I set up my gaming laptop to play the demo so i could show him how it plays and looks as without my Nostromo not setup is like being crippled.

He loved it and said it looked liked what he would exactly like to try, Especially after i explained he would be backed up by a squad and could pretty much go at his own pace.

So tonight or tomorrow ill install and set it up on the C2Duo i gave him and pray i can teach him the controls.
I hope he likes it and wants the 3 game combo pack for $30 as i offered to pay for half so i can play them too.

Older Total War games? Turn based strat games. When I played coop with my dad, he takes like 15-20 min per turn. Newer ones will stress non-modern systems though.

Side note...ARMA II demo in integrated graphics? Really?

Call Of Duty: World at War (COD5) is pretty good. It is set in WW2 times, and I think it still has quite the following also!

I also enjoyed Brothers in Arms. I think there are a total of 3 games total. It is squad based, meaning you command 2 small squads, sometimes tanks, while still in FPS mode. You can also switch to 3rd person. The missions vary in terms of objectives, and there is a bit of everything from close quarters to long range combat.

Back