• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a laptop dell or acer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookuwn

hello
I'm looking for office use laptop. I dont really know what to look for in a laptop so i need advices.
I have narrowed it down to:
Dell inspiron 2200
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_2200?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs
the base model one, with this specs
Base Model Includes:
Intel® Celeron® M 360 (1.40 GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
256MB Shared10 DDR SDRAM
14.1" XGA Display
30GB5 Ultra/ATA Hard Drive
Integrated Intel® Extreme 2 Graphics
8x DVD-ROM Drive
Starting at 6.02 lbs11
One year Limited Warranty4 and One year Mail-in Service
Base Model Includes

and

acer Aspire 3002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115301#DetailSpecs
specs are in link.

Comparing the two, the inspiron 2200 is probably more reliable, and Dell would have better customer service. The Acer Aspire has better specs, mobile sempron 2800+, 40gigHD, cdrw/dvd combo, 15" xga, and imo looks cooler.
Dont know about battery life.

btw can someone confirm that the sempron 2800+ is of socket 754/939 cpu and not the socket A. This should make it faster than the celeron-M 1.4Ghz...right?

They cost pretty much exactly the same. Right now im leaning toward the Acer, unless you tell me otherwise.
let me know
thanks

woah there... why not get an inspiron 6000 and use one of those $400 off any purchase of $1299 cupons?

if you go with the 14" screen the dell should get 3-5 hours

I really don't trust the LOW-END laptop models from eigther dell or acer... get a midrange model so you can get a discount for it and make it about the same price as the low end model...

hmm didnt think of screen size and battery life.

i dont know if the coupon offer is available in canada, and is it even still availible. I checked it has expiration date + with a limited number of coupons. When you order online is it possible to check if the coupon is availible before you buy it?

Dell -Tey do make great laptops - i dont like Acer - they seem "cheap" have you considerd Sager or toshiba...

one thing though, this laptop will not be traveling too much, prob not at all...cuz we have a big family and my sister like to be able to work anywhere around the house, where its quiet. So battery life is not too important.

ok back to the question...you all recommand dell over acer...why?
is it the great customer service of dell worth more than acers better specs? :shrug:

I have an Acer Aspire 1353XC. Solid, survived a drop from the top of my car to the ground with only minor, aesthetic damage. Its quick, reliable and runs Linux like a dream :D. Apart from the video chip in it which I cant get to play nice so I use the framebuffer device.

My friend has a dell - its only ~3 months old and has been sent back for repairs twice. Although he might have just got a bad one.

My laptop is ~1.5 years old:
XP-M2400+/512MB RAM (was 256 but i upgraded)/20GB HD/CDRWandDVD

enduro said:
What is the max price you are looking to spend and are you going to be gaming at all?

im trying to keep it as low as possible, cuz it will be primarly for office and IE use. Though i did see a review in Thai or something cant read it, 3dmark2k1 is 1500, and 3dmark2k3 is 200... lol :santa:

David said:
I have an Acer Aspire 1353XC. Solid, survived a drop from the top of my car to the ground with only minor, aesthetic damage. Its quick, reliable and runs Linux like a dream . Apart from the video chip in it which I cant get to play nice so I use the framebuffer device.

My friend has a dell - its only ~3 months old and has been sent back for repairs twice. Although he might have just got a bad one.

My laptop is ~1.5 years old:
XP-M2400+/512MB RAM (was 256 but i upgraded)/20GB HD/CDRWandDVD

Nice to see a possitive comment on the acer, cuz im still really leaning toward the acer despite all the dell recommandations. One thing with the Acer though, thats somewhat holding me back, the advertise spec for battery life is 1.5hrs using a 4cell battery. :eh?:

Ouch that's a harsh battery life. My laptop has a nicer battery because I paid more for it but you might check out the Dell......although if you are going to plug it in more just get the lappy with the better components. You might look into a slightly nicer screen though because having a nice screen makes a laptop 10x more enjoyable.

My friend just bought a dell with those coupons. It truely saves you a ton of money and you can work yourself up a nice laptop. I would suggest getting the Dell with possibly a screen upgrade. Like enduro said, a bigger battery and better screen really make a laptop a ton more enjoyable. One other thing to make sure you get is wireless connections, It's so fun to walk around the house and use your laptop wherever you go without having cords attached.

Dell.

nookuwn said:
one thing though, this laptop will not be traveling too much, prob not at all...cuz we have a big family and my sister like to be able to work anywhere around the house, where its quiet. So battery life is not too important.

ok back to the question...you all recommand dell over acer...why?
is it the great customer service of dell worth more than acers better specs? :shrug:

what about a DTR ?

so whats that? 1-10 in favor of dell? :bang head

Yamiyanazz said:
My friend just bought a dell with those coupons. It truely saves you a ton of money and you can work yourself up a nice laptop. I would suggest getting the Dell with possibly a screen upgrade. Like enduro said, a bigger battery and better screen really make a laptop a ton more enjoyable. One other thing to make sure you get is wireless connections, It's so fun to walk around the house and use your laptop wherever you go without having cords attached.

Dell.

wireless is a sure thing, both of these laptops have it built in.
how do you keep up to date with the coupons? I want to be ready for it. I would definately get a dell if i get a coupon deal.

You just have to do a search. They have some awesome deals. I got 600 off on my laptop and sometimes they are 900 bucks off a 2000 dollar laptop :eek: which is sick.

now thats BIG coupon lol, I'll go configure some dell laps, lets see what kind of deal i can get...
thanks all for the replies :)

Back