• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a little advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cosmickskanker

Registered
hi im new to building computers and on my first build. i need some advice before i put it all together though.
i have the following
cpu: i7 5820k
mobo: asus x99 ews
psu: evea supernova 850 g2
gpu:nvidia quadro k600 (pny)
pci card:asus xonar dg pci oem
hdd:seagate 500gb sata pc hd
ram:hynix 4gb pc4 17000 ddr4 288 pin dimm
cpu cooler:antec kuhler h20 650
case :coolermaster cosmos 100
is intended to be a workstation i can upgrade .a lot of parts are basic to get it up and running but just need to know if its all compatible with each other and i wont blow anything up.

i already have all the components ended use for it is 3d modelling and some basic rendering

Everything looks fine, I would ditch the sound card and use onboard though.

not quite sketch up but 3ds max and z brush . also thanks for the advice .didn't realise it had on board audio .

Ah, that explains the board/cpu choice then.

I know both well. In architecture, that Quadro line is well known for sketchup, with the K2000 being a popular balanced choice, which is all but single threaded and dependent on GPU (like a game).

Max...that likes cores! It also likes RAM, but is surprisingly efficient about it.

Z brush i've not used since about 2008, so I can't say what current versions might best utilize, but you're certainly in the right ballpark.

The Xonar DG uses a CMI8788 which is a pretty high end chip. I would go ahead and use it instead of the onboard audio. On WS boards, typically, the audio is not terrific.
I would use it, that is, except that you can't. You picked a board with no PCI slots. It's all PCI-E. See?

ASUSX99EWS_Title980.jpg

So you're going to have to use the integrated audio on the board.

Have you watched any how-to-build videos? I suggest you watch Carey Holzman's how-to videos on youtube. They are very detailed.

BTW the cooler you chose is only going to be enough for the CPU at stock. The whole point of buying a "K" CPU is that you overclock it. I would suggest getting a bigger heatsink/ALC unit. If your case supports it, maybe an NZXT Kraken X61. I really strongly suggest that you do get a high end cooler and that you do overclock. You could be looking at an extra 1GHZ which makes a big difference in productivity tasks like you are going to be doing. However, I don't think an ALC will fit in your case. You might be stuck with something like an NHD14, assuming your case is wide enough.

Also, since this is your first time working with components, I'd suggest you double-wrap it :p in the sense of both grounding yourself and using nitrile rubber gloves. They're usually blue and you can find them at auto parts stores and in first aid sections of drug stores.

Wear a t shirt, work on a wood table on a wood floor, Wear the gloves, and tough your wrist (with no glove on it) periodically to the case. If you have a case with an unpainted interior, touch it to the interior of the case.

Some other problems with your parts:

cpu: i7 5820k
mobo: asus x99 ews
psu: evea supernova 850 g2
gpu:nvidia quadro k600 (pny)
pci card:asus xonar dg pci oem
hdd:seagate 500gb sata pc hd
ram:hynix 4gb pc4 17000 ddr4 288 pin dimm
cpu cooler:antec kuhler h20 650
case :coolermaster cosmos 100

4GB of RAM? No way. That was a lot in 2007. Now it's a joke, and not enough for productivity. You want as a minimum 16GB (4X4GB) or better yet 32GB (4X8GB). Always use 4 or 8 sticks of RAM with X99. It uses quad channel memory. You will get absolutely nowhere with 4GB of RAM. And you will be choking your memory bandwidth down to 1/4 of what it should be.

The case, while perhaps the coolest looking case ever made, is a dog for cable management in that it offers no cable management options. First time builders have a hard time getting cable management right, and you're going to obstruct your airflow, which, really isn't that high in this case in the first place.

Also your storage... you're not doing much with 500GB. And where's the SSD? You can't have a high end system with no SSD.

My suggestions?

Pick up an NZXT Kraken X61
Pick up a 4X4GB 2400Mhz DDR 4 kit
Pick up a Corsair 760T case
Pick up a 250-500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Pick up a 3TB 7200RPM HDD

Return your CPU cooler, your stick of RAM, your soundcard, your 500GB HDD

Oh and #1 tip- use a magnetized screwdriver to put your computer together!
You don't want to lose a tiny screw in your case. They can really get lost, and if they end up in the wrong place they can cause a short and kill your computer.

Last edited:
ive been watching videos for just over a week ,trying to cram it all in . to be honest my budget is finished at the moment .all parts still sealed so will look up your suggestions. i just want a working machine until i can save for more expensive components.
i have taken computers apart before but they were back when p4 were all the rage and i blew a few psu's to .
we all need to start somewhere and i am enjoying the learning process . as for overclocking i will do that but while im using this cooler i wont be ,i should have a better one in a few weeks max. as long as i can power on and use 3ds max, without blowing or overheating components for a few weeks then im great.

ive been watching videos for just over a week ,trying to cram it all in . to be honest my budget is finished at the moment .all parts still sealed so will look up your suggestions. i just want a working machine until i can save for more expensive components.
i have taken computers apart before but they were back when p4 were all the rage and i blew a few psu's to .
we all need to start somewhere and i am enjoying the learning process . as for overclocking i will do that but while im using this cooler i wont be ,i should have a better one in a few weeks max. as long as i can power on and use 3ds max, without blowing or overheating components for a few weeks then im great.
and yeah audio card was a rush buy ,wasn't really paying to much attention there but thanks for that .

RAM should be the first thing you buy for this machine, when you get more money.

The Xonar DG uses a CMI8788 which is a pretty high end chip. I would go ahead and use it instead of the onboard audio. On WS boards, typically, the audio is not terrific.
I would use it, that is, except that you can't. You picked a board with no PCI slots. It's all PCI-E. See?

Great call!

I missed that point!

You urgently need a 4X4 RAM kit.
I don't know how you could have thought 4GB was enough for 3D modelling but it's not :p

You also urgently need more storage in the form of a multi-TB HDD and an SSD.

ok ok i hear you all and i will just have save up and go for a 4x4gb back or a 2x4 although i rather the idea of 4 so any problems cheaper to fix.
as for the ssd ,i know i need on at some point i just want a half decent size drive(full stop)that i can use for now. for the price im paying for the hd i would get about 30gb ssd so rather use the 50gb hd for now and upgrade in a month or so. and as for storage 500gb will last me a little while ,at least until i get a ssd ,
also thinking of going with the Corsair H100i for now . 1 more thing can i use ddr3 instead of ddr4 as its a lot easier and cheaper to get

Last edited:
How about you just get a 212 EVO until you can save up for something like a Glacer 240L?
No, you can't use DDR3.

ok ok i hear you all and i will just have save up and go for a 4x4gb back or a 2x4 although i rather the idea of 4 so any problems cheaper to fix.
as for the ssd ,i know i need on at some point i just want a half decent size drive(full stop)that i can use for now. for the price im paying for the hd i would get about 30gb ssd so rather use the 50gb hd for now and upgrade in a month or so. and as for storage 500gb will last me a little while ,at least until i get a ssd ,
also thinking of going with the Corsair H100i for now . 1 more thing can i use ddr3 instead of ddr4 as its a lot easier and cheaper to get

I don't like it when people don't listen...
You don't want the H100i, it's a garbage cooler. You can't use DDR3. You really shouldn't run a high end system without an SSD in 2015. You should absolutely not run a system below the number of memory channels it was designed for. There are single, dual, and quad channel (and formerly triple channel) memory controllers out there. If your system has a quad channel controller, you want 4 sticks of RAM. Period. Don't gimp your system. You've got a high end hex core CPU and everything else you're doing is gimping it. That makes no sense to me at all.

How about you just get a 212 EVO until you can save up for something like a Glacer 240L?
No, you can't use DDR3.

+1

ok ok i hear you . the point was that i picked up the mobo for 100 pound the psu for 40 the case for 20 and the gpu for 40 so i got a great deal .i didn't plan on building a x99 system it just kind of happened . and with the budget i had set i was trying to use what budget i had left to get it up and running. it wasn't about overclocking or building a top of the range pc .it was about getting what i had up and running ,then to upgrade what i can when i can. i understand about lagging the system and not getting the best out of it but for now i just wanted a system full stop.
but im going to get myself 2 packs of 2x4gb ddr4 2400ghz,going to get a xspc raystorm and water cool it . the all in one's aint much more then the parts to make your own and they look much cooler to. sticking with the hdd but only until i get hold of a ssd but will get a ssd soon.

I wouldn't put that system in that case. Meh air flow, Meh cable management. You can do so much better today.

The point is not how cheaply you got what you got, and you did get it cheap, the point is that if you have some high end parts (your motherboard is extremely high end, for example) then you should have ALL high end parts, as a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Your GPU is weak, your RAM is weak, your storage is weak, your case is weak. No offense, just calling a duck a duck.

Why would you pick up 2 2X4 packs when they make 4X4 packs? :p Just get a 4x4 DDR4 kit. If you want to play any kind of games, while maintaining 3D rendering/modelling/CAD capabilities, look at a card like a GTX 970 or 980. And do get yourself an SSD as soon as possible.

Consider something like a Corsair 760T for a case. Better air flow and cable management, and arguably = or better looks.

How did you get these parts so cheap? 100GBP for an X99-E WS?? !!
Did you buy them from an elderly dementia patient who was just cleaning out her grandson's room or something?

Last edited:
haha tell me about it .it was a parcel delivery guy i bought them off he had a few boxes of them they were all brand spanking new to so couldn't say no especially when i wanted a workstation over a gaming rig.i was going for a z97 until i see that.gone and given myself a big old bill now aint i . i hear what your saying i guess im just a bit eger to build it rather then save for high end parts.looks like the wife is loosing the laptop for a bit longer.
will play with the case for now .got my drimel and as it was only 20 then nothing to loose have i .
am taking on your advice and will be looking into it ill make you proud dont worry .

any chance in a little list of cases so i got a good choice. i like to mod things so one that i can easily mod to.

Back