• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new harddrive, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

right now im running 2x 120g 7200rpm segates in raid 0 with windows/page/games and 2x 60gig maxors ide 5400 for storage.

i really dont need more storage im just looking for something faster, was thinkin a 74 or 150g raptor, move my 120gigs to storage and toss the 60gigs in my girls PC.

i guess im askin with a 150g raptor be faster than my segates in raid 0? enough to be worth the 200$ cost?

I'm gonna say, no, you won't find a $200 difference. The Raptor will be much better in seek times(getting to the file), but not in STR(spitting the file out) over your RAID0 setup. Though the seek time benefit is favored for an OS/app drive, the little bit of benefit of the superior STR of the RAID0 setup might make the difference between the two about a wash. Also, there is no reason to RAID0 data storage drives unless you have a very STR dependant application that manipulates files on that array. I'd separate them once you install a new OS drive. Anyway, the Raptor is about the best desktop drive you can get, but the cost/benefit ratio is awful for that extra bit of performance. If you can accept that, go for it, otherwise get a Hitachi T7K500(my pick) or Seagate 7200.10 drive. And heck, I don't think I'd give anybody 5400rpm drives, even for free. Especially my girlfriend. ;)

Back