• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a recommendation on what AM4 board to get (please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Looking for a new board for overclocking, so something that overclocks well and has good memory support.
Prefer to stay with the B450/X470 chipsets.
Must be atx.
Currently running a R7 1700, looking at the R5 3600 as a replacement if they perform good.
Any recommendations? I looked at the vram lists, and I swear every board with good vrams either has poor memory overclocking or a ton of bad reviews. I'm at a loss at this point on what to look at.

The asrocķ Tiachi seems to be recommended the most when you ask for memory oc. After that my guess would be the crosshair hero or the x470 styrix. Some other guys might have more I'm out with boards I'm not familiar with.

I was looking at the Taichi and C6H originally. A few guys that tested/benched them said neither were great, which sent me down this rabbit hole of finding something that is good. And the C7H is out of my budget.

I think it was Womack that loved the x390 Tiachi even more so then the x470. Not sure how they will handle a 3000 chip though.

Still on the fence if I want to swap the 1700x out for the 3600.
I want to upgrade from my b350 board either way (not great for overclocking).
If I go with the 3600, I'll probably grab a x570 board.
Here's my question: Since the Ryzen 3000 chips show very little, if any, overclocking ability, is there a reason to spend extra on a board with better power delivery? Looking at something like the Gaming X vs Gaming Elite. $30 difference, but will the better power delivery of the Elite actually give me anything in return to justify the extra cost?

It all depends on the number of cores you wish to run. Pretty much any b or x series board should handle 6 cores without a lot of trouble. 8+ cores is a different story.

fwiw my x470 taichi will run b-die at 3600MHz with some tweaking, running VSOC @ 1.2V. For general use I just run 3200MHz because the difference is not super noticeable after that point. Hard to say if its a CPU limit or a motherboard limit, although I have assumed it was the IMC and Infinity fabric stability on the CPU that was the primary factor in memory overclocking. The x470 Taichi also has a VRM that should support at least 12 cores, although I haven't thoroughly researched this so don't take my word if that is something in your future.

What are you trying to achieve with memory support? If you have 3200MHz at CL15, that seems pretty good for daily use. In terms of overclocking, you might gain a few hundred MHz over your 1700X oc. You'll also notice a boost in IPC though.

I would say not. Save the money and spend it on good 3600 mhz memory.

I got an Aorus gaming 7 wifi. And the pbo boost higher then my crosshair when I had it. Max clock was pretty much the same. Memory oc for some reason I could get it a hair higher then my crosshair. I just don't like the limited bios compared to the crosshair. But it's running my 3900x now great.

The gaming 7 I was able to got a little over 3352 on 4 dimm's Corsair pro rgb 3000. And on 2 I was able to get 3657. Overall happy with it. But it's bright. Tons of RGB. But for the price you can't go wrong. My x470 list is.

Crosshair
Aorus gaming 7
MSI pro carbon

Back