• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for a mini ITX, headless, unix-based backup server build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

My goal is to build a mini ITX machine that will primarily be used for back ups. All clients are on the internal network. Approximately 2.5TB to be backed up.

Here's what I've brainstormed so far. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Possible Operating Systems
Ubuntu server 10.04
CentOS
freeNAS (never used it, not sure if it'd be appropriate for this build)

Hardware considerations
Case: Antec ISK 300-65
CPU/Mobo: Atom D525 or AMD E350 APU

I really haven't been keeping up with CPUs and motherboards since my 1366 build last year so I'm not sure if/what the alternatives are to the Atom/E350.

Backup software
rsync & Deltacopy

Budget: Trying to keep it around $375-400 without the cost of hard drives if I can.

Hello ebug122,

Unless you need the case to be small, I would highly suggest the Antec 300. It is cheaper than the one you want, currently has free shipping, and a mail in rebate. It will hold 6 hard drives stock and you could add a 5.25" to 3.5" converter up top for another 3-4 drives. For the processor/board, I would check out a low-end i3 setup. It is going to be substantially faster than an Atom processor. While this doesn't fit your "ITX" build, I believe it is going to offer much greater flexibility in case you decide to upgrade in the future. If you have classifieds access here, I'm sure you could find something used for a good price.

For the operating system, I've been using CentOS for over 2 years now and it has never done me wrong. There is nothing special about it, I just prefer RedHat-based operating systems. Rsync (running as a Daemon with xinetd) and DeltaCopy are exactly what I use for my hourly backups to the server. From there, you could create a script to make archives/backups. You may also want to heavily consider ZFS for the file system.

Hey thideras, thanks for the recommendations.

I forgot to mention the budget is in Canadian dollars. Antec 300 is currently $70 + $21 shipping on Newegg.ca or just $70 at my local computer parts store. Is it well worth that price or should I be looking at an alternative?

CPU: i3-2100 $129.99
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2H mATX $69.99
RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz $15.99
PSU: Corsair CX430 $49.99

Total = $320.63 after tax and shipping (not including a case)

I would still suggest the 300, even at the increased price.

NTM the "size benefits" of a standard "DIY ITX PC" are generally in direct conflict with a multi-drive Backup device. There are of course exceptions winky ;)

Back