• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice for beginning overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OvaKilla

Registered
i havent physically done any oc'ing yet, but i plan to. the pc i've been using for the last few years, is un-overclock-able, but i am going to have a nice, pretty box show up at my door next week. the thing is... its a $6000 pc so im a lil scared. i wish i could've gone through the precedure a few times so i would have a little experience and know what to look for when things arent going right, but that could'nt happen. what happens for instance, when you make a oc in the bios, but there isnt enough voltage for the oc but you dont know it yet? then you just boot as normal, what happens next, does the pc shut down? these are the type of things that arent in overclocking guides but i need to know so i can deal with a problem. can anyone help me out with any pointers like that? as far as doing the actual oc, i dont need any help with things like that.

Hi and :welcome: to the forums!!

overclocking is like riding a bike, you cant learn from listening to other people tell you, you can take hints and tips, but its you that has to learn how to do it yourself. its like a martial arts book, just because you read it doesnt mean you are a black belt, it might help you, sure, but doesnt mean you know everything.

As for overclocking, everybody has different methods and ways that they approach the situation, mine is most likely different than someone elses. you have to read and try and come up with your own method.

To answer you question about the cpu not getting enough voltage, if its too low, it doesnt boot. if its enough for it to boot, it will, but then will not be stable enough to pass prime (more on that later). if a right amount of voltage is applied then through testing should be done to make sure you have a 100% stable system. if you have too much, then the cpu might not post, overheat, or just die (happened with my 750mhz duron, i have it max voltage and the thing poped in the socket, now its in 3 pieces).

Personally, i tend to stay far away from overvolting the cpu. my technique is to find the lowest vcore that the cpu is stable at on stock voltage, then move on from there. it gives me a nice mix of good temps and speed. i never tend to go over stock vcore. as you can see in my sig, i have my 3.2 @ 3.6 with vcore at 1.3375, from 1.385. runs cooler and more efficent. but its a personal prefrence.

The only thing that i have to add about stability testing, is when you are priming, or dual priming (dual core, Hyper-threading systems), run super pi 32m. if it fails, it is a early prediction of system instability, if it passes, leave it on for about 24 hours to prime test for stability. it just saves alot of time. for example, machine was dual prime stable for about 5 hours, and about 20 min stable with dual prime and super pi 32m. saved alot of time. i also run prime in large ffts (max power/heat) which tests the Powersupply also and cooling, so the processor doesnt throttle.

Here are some links:
Guidelines For Stability Testing
Overclocking Tips
Overvolting Tips

Hope all this helps.

ya, i already read felinusz's stability posts and other faq's too. what exactly is 'post'? is that where the pc will only allow you to get to your bios? is there anything you can do just short of killing your pc, that wont allow you to get to your bios? cuz if you mess something up but be able to get your bios, then you can just fix it. like, im scared im gonna do something and my new pc will just shut down, not turn back on to somewhere i can change the setting back, and im just gonna be like, ok what do i do now...

If it really did cost $6000 then you just might to really think about tinkering with it. Not putting a damper on you just trying to keep you fiscally sound.

thats all i really plan on doing, nothing major for now. does anyone know of any guides that tell you what happens when you do something wrong? like, if you dont have a high enough vcore, then 'this' will happen. and what exactly is post?

OvaKilla said:
ya, i already read felinusz's stability posts and other faq's too. what exactly is 'post'?
Power On Self Test (the computer goes through a series of checks to make sure its good enough to boot. (usually happens before and during that ram check sequence). You hear the speaker beep.More on that HERE

OvaKilla said:
is there anything you can do just short of killing your pc, that wont allow you to get to your bios? cuz if you mess something up but be able to get your bios, then you can just fix it. like, im scared im gonna do something and my new pc will just shut down, not turn back on to somewhere i can change the setting back, and im just gonna be like, ok what do i do now...
well basically it works like this: if you set a setting to high or too low, then the pc wont POST. if it doesnt beep or beeps incorrectly within acouple seconds, then turn the baby off, and clear the cmos (usually done by a jumper or disconnecting the powersupply power cable and taking the mobo battery out). just remember to not do extreme settings, take it a slow step at a time and everything should be golden.

thanks falcon, that helps me out a real lot! :) can you make small increments to the multiplier and fsb? i always see people make .5 changes to the multiplier but i never see 14.2 or 13.7. and the fsb, can you raise it by just 1 or 2?

why does it seem like its alot harder to get results when oc'ing the fsb than it is with the multiplier? it seems alot more intricate and i see people simply bumping up the multi to do their oc but when they try through with the fsb, they get instability and a bunch of other problems. i know it has to do with the ram, do you need to have the ram speed match your fsb? thanks again falcon.

OvaKilla said:
thanks falcon, that helps me out a real lot! :) can you make small increments to the multiplier and fsb? i always see people make .5 changes to the multiplier but i never see 14.2 or 13.7. and the fsb, can you raise it by just 1 or 2?
Well, for the most part, cpus come with the multi locked. Intel locks theirs. Amd is is different story, my knowledge of amd's only goes up to the athlon xp's/mp's. with these, you can unlock the multi by doing some modifications to the processor. hopefully someone with knowledge of amd64's will respond and tell you about them, but im sure there is a way that you can change the multi on them as well. intel's new line has a type of "speedstep", in which the processor drops its multi down to reduce cpu heat when its not in use. there are some tricks that can be done in order to keep the multi lower.

amd's multi's for athlon xp's have the .5 (10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, etc), while as far as i know, the 64's have whole numbers (8,9,10,etc.).

intel's multi's are whole for modern processors as well (older ones, such as pIII and lower had halfed also), but p4's go whole (16,17,18, etc).

the fsb can be adjusted by 1 mhz increment (thats if the motherboard supports it, some have just huge jumps, like 100, 133, 200)

OvaKilla said:
why does it seem like its alot harder to get results when oc'ing the fsb than it is with the multiplier? it seems alot more intricate and i see people simply bumping up the multi to do their oc but when they try through with the fsb, they get instability and a bunch of other problems. i know it has to do with the ram, do you need to have the ram speed match your fsb? thanks again falcon.
when you oc with fsb (for example, most of us intel guys, have no choice), you are not only overclocking the cpu, but also the ram (unless you set it on a divider). when you up the multiplier, you only stress the cpu in the overclock. people love to oc with the fsb because it gives much more performance then just changing the multiplier.

ideally, its good to have ram that is faster than the stock fsb on the processor, this will give you much more headroom to oc and not be a bottleneck. this is because setting the memory at a 1:1 ratio with the fsb is much better performance then setting it on a divider (5:4 ie. 250fsb and 200memory). with the increase in fsb, the memory goes up as well. the faster the memory operates, the more bandwidth it has, therefore you whole system feels faster.

when you oc, remember to lock the pci/agp speed to the default (33/66), or in newer systems, lock the pcie/sata (100mhz), because if you dont, this goes up with the increase in fsb. and if you go out of spec, then you will get instability from other things (harddrive will give errors, since the chip is operating out of spec, the video card will start bugging out).

hope that helps, ask away if there is any more info you need. btw, do you know the system specs of the machine that you are going to oc?

edit: congrats on your star :p

Back