• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice - midrange MB for Phenom 720 BE - 1st Time OCer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randomness

Registered
EDIT: I originally put this post in the motherboard forum because that was the main thing I was interested in...but I got a little ahead of myself. If I put this in the wrong forum and it has to be moved I apologize.

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any advice. I haven't built a computer in a LONG time...and this will be my first time attempting to overclock.

After doing some research, I have decided on some components that I want to use in my build, so I am looking for advice on the other parts. I have a very limited budget, so if you see parts that you think would be better suited, please let me know (except for the video card, I already bought that!)

These are the parts I currently have (about to purchase) for my build:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition <--- Seems like the best bang for the buck right now
Video Card: XFX Radeon 5770 HD
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W

What I need

Motherboard: I really need to keep this midrange... I would prefer something that offers easier over clocking (because I'm a noob), and decent specs. It doesn't need onboard video because I have the card already. I would like to keep it in the price range of $75-125

Cooler: What cooler would you suggest for the CPU if I'm interested in over clocking (but not EXTREME overclocking)

Case: I need something to put these parts in. It doesn't have to be super elegant or a crazy light show. I would like to keep the price around $60 (I gotta skimp somewhere!)

Ram: When did ram get so expensive!?!? I don't need anything that will over clock, but I figure 4 GB should do.

If I missed anything, or you need more elaboration, please LMK. I really appreciate any help you guys can give me... it just seems like there are tooooo many options out there!

Thanks
Randomness

Thanks for the links...

I just got a recommendation for the Asrock 890 GX Extreme 3 motherboard...looks pretty sweet. The ram is a great price BTW.

I appreciate the info!

Back