• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on building a cheap system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alpha_One

Here's the thing. Our Socket A system's mobo just gave up the ghost. I am thinking of getting a cheapo dual-core capable mobo+RAM+CPU and reuse the rest of the existing hardware. It has an MX440 which I can no longer use, so it'll have to be integrated graphics, at least until I upgrade my main rig's 6600. I'm not looking for cutting edge performance, just a cheap upgrade that'll eventually lead me into a budget dual-core option now or in the future. Overclocking is a bonus, but I'm not specifically after overclocking, just a budget system for a backup rig.

I am currently considering two options:

Option #1:
-Intel Pentium4 530J 3GHz w/HT (leftover from my Core 2 upgrade)
-Asrock Conroe1333-D667 R2.0
-Transcend JetRAM 2x1GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 dual channel kit

Advantages of option #1:
-Cheaper, as I don't need to buy a CPU yet
-More short-term upgrade paths (Pentium E2xxx, Celeron Duals in the future)
-Better overclockability?

Option #2:
-AMD Athlon64 x2 4000+ (Brisbane)
-Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720P R3.0
-Transcend JetRAM 2x1GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 dual channel kit

Advantage of option #2:
-Better integrated graphics

Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Feel free to add your own suggestions for the hardware:

-Needed: CPU, RAM, Mobo. (For a 775 based system, I have an old P4 to temporarily utilise)
-Budget: below US$200, preferably below US$170 or so
-Must have integrated graphics

Last edited:
if YOU don't use it, there is no need to upgrade.

...now, if this was your main pc, that is a totally differnt story. :santa:

I personally don't use it a lot - I use my laptop or the rig with the overclocked C2D. Other members in the family do though, and my sis wants her games back. :mad:

What I mean by upgradable is not that I'm going to pour money into this thing, but that any upgrades I do to the C2D rig, the old stuff won't go to waste. :santa: Besides, I really need a backup rig for testing parts and stuff.

It's option one, I guess. Thanks guys.:soda:

Last edited:
Back