• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on Windows reinstall with RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darur

Hey Folks!

Real simple question, I've been searching without any conclusive answers.

I have Windows 7 32 bit on my machine, and I keep the OS on one partition of a hard drive (with other partitions for other operating systems, eventually :p) and my programs and data on my RAID 5 array.

I picked up Windows 7 64 bit a while back, and I'm trying to find an easy way to install Windows 7 without having to re-install all my programs. I'm going to reformat the partition Windows 7 is on, but I'm going to leave everything as is on the RAID 5 array. Is there a simple way to do this or will I have to just bite the bullet and reinstall everything?

Thanks!

Right, you cannot install 64-Bit Windows over 32-Bit Windows.

Which program are you using that is consuming more than 4GB of RAM? 64-Bit Windows would allow it to use more than 4GB but there really aren't any other advantages. The thing is, most programs don't use over 4GB of RAM. Sounds like a lot of hassle if you don't use anything that eats through that much RAM.

Yeah, I came to terms with it earlier tonight, it's long over due, but I was hoping to avoid it :p

None of my programs are major memory hogs at the moment, I just have 8 GBs of RAM on my desktop and it seems a shame to not have it all available (Sig is horribly out of date, school got in the way of this hobby, catching up again!)

I appreciate the input!

If none of your programs are "memory hogs" why are you doing it? There is zero difference, there is nothing else 64-Bit can do that you can't do now. If anything, you will loose compatibility with older hardware/software should you ever need to use them.

There's always dual boot, keep what you have and install another Windows on another partition or Hard Drive. Then boot from one into the other, if necessary.

Maybe make a smaller partition and install only the OS on it + maybe small apps. Then image/reimage to resolve problems in the future.

Couple of reasons. Right now none of my programs are memory hogs, but when I return to grad school, I expect that will change. Also my current Windows 7 installation is giving me some issues and I'm hoping a fresh install will help.

I've already made a back-up of current OS though, and I'm planning to put that on a separate partition.

Back