• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help figuring out what cooler will fit to samsung laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThunderSpirit

Registered
I am about to put my wife through school and funds will be tight for a few years so I am avoiding a new pc purchase. I have 2 laptops and one has a badly damaged screen, so I use it like a desktop with an hdmi cable. It is a few years old now, samsung chronos 7, but a decently powerful machine, not overclockable to my knowledge. I have a basement right now so it does not have problems staying cool but I do remember that I would have issue with it over heating when I used it for rendering images in the past when I did not have a basement. My next house will probably not have a nice cool basement so I have contemplated opening the bottom, adding some risers or maybe a small box the size of the laptop and adding one of these corsair hydro configurations. Without much knowledge of how this works I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

-How do I know what size to get, and will it bolt on to the existing mounts?
-What thermal grease do I need

Hopefully this is a simple upgrade.

Here is a link to the exact same model I have and it has the exact same cooling system beneath it, model is an np700z5b

I don't think you can upgrade a laptop heatsink without hacking the laptop. You can get a base with a fan on it... or replace the thermal paste though. It's what I would do...

Well it would be a hack because Im going to mount it on a hollow box, cpu case i suppose. I plan to remove the bottom and leave it off. I guess it may do better with no bottom, may try that first. Today it got up to 90c on all 8 threads so i assume that cant be good for its lifespan.

Yea, I would open the laptop up, and remove the HSF assembly, clean the fan/heatsink and replace the TIM. I'd bet that takes care of any overheating problem.

Well it would be a hack because Im going to mount it on a hollow box, cpu case i suppose. I plan to remove the bottom and leave it off. I guess it may do better with no bottom, may try that first. Today it got up to 90c on all 8 threads so i assume that cant be good for its lifespan.

I assume that is normal for a laptop... if it isn't throttling, it's not an issue.

Not sure I would run it all ghettoed out like that honestly. How comfortable would the laptop be with a "box" underneath it?

The first thing I would do would be to clean the heatsink out with compressed air. Insert something very thin trough the vent holes over the fan first, jamming against the fan blades in such a way as to prevent the fan from spinning at a crazy RPM when you shoot it with air. If you don't take this precaution you risk ruining the fan bearings. Then shoot compressed air through the heatsink fins from outside toward the interior of the laptop. Try this first. It may save you from going to the hassle of dismantling the laptop.

Yea, I would open the laptop up, and remove the HSF assembly, clean the fan/heatsink and replace the TIM. I'd bet that takes care of any overheating problem.
Hsf - heat sink fan,, but whats TIM?

- - - Updated - - -

Hsf - heat sink fan,, but whats TIM?

- - - Updated - - -

I assume that is normal for a laptop... if it isn't throttling, it's not an issue.

Not sure I would run it all ghettoed out like that honestly. How comfortable would the laptop be with a "box" underneath it?

Im going to try and avoid it if possible. If i do use a box it will be mounted nicely, i have a shop so I can make it happen, and it will look good for a laptop on a box.

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing I would do would be to clean the heatsink out with compressed air. Insert something very thin trough the vent holes over the fan first, jamming against the fan blades in such a way as to prevent the fan from spinning at a crazy RPM when you shoot it with air. If you don't take this precaution you risk ruining the fan bearings. Then shoot compressed air through the heatsink fins from outside toward the interior of the laptop. Try this first. It may save you from going to the hassle of dismantling the laptop.

Ok thanks I will give that a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Just an update, I let the laptop render some data in turbo mode 3.1ghz yesterday and it did not like that. I left it running overnight and it overheated. When i checked on it the screen looked like glitch artwork from an NES. I powered down then powered up and it would not work and was pretty hot. An hour later I tried again and it started. Im going to try cleaning it tonight.

TIM=thermal interface material.

It acts as the heat transfer mechanism between the cpu and heatsink. When it gets old it starts to dry out and crack and does not transfer heat well from the cpu to the heatsink. I would start with blowing out the fan and heatsink and if that does not work then pull the laptop apart and replace the TIM. just be aware that some laptops use thermal pads instead of TIM so you will have to do some research ahead of time to find out what is correct for your application.

Back