• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help getting windows on an upcoming build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThorV2

Okay so I have a Windows 8 Upgrade disc with unused key... So my question is is there anyway to make a windows 7 boot disc install that without activating then upgrading to windows 8? Will that make it genuine?

Supposedly you only need the OS there so that the upgrade can be done, no need to activate or anything, as soon as windows 7 is installed you can just run Win 8 upgrade. Some people advise after that to backup the fresh Win 8 install somewhere, wipe the drive, and then use the backup to have a "clean install" - that is, as close to a clean install as you can get with an upgrade.

i also heard that some people using an upgrade key have been able to just do a normal windows 8 install without having to install 7 first. not saying that its the right thing to do because i have no idea just sayin it has been done.

Back