• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help: Gskill RipjawV F4-4266C17D-32GVKB Samsung B-die and EVGA Micro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Ok,

I have never run anything above 3200Mhz before. These are not on EVGA Micro ATX QVL

I am only currently able to run @3600Mhz and 16-16-19-38-1T at 1.5V

I tried XMP. Won't boot.

I have tried combos from 3600 to 4400, going as high as 19-21-21-38 timings with no luck. I have tried raising the voltage to 1.6 with no luck.

On a setting at 3800 I was able to get into windows before crashing. 3600 at lower than stock timings crash.

I am not really sure what I am doing wrong, or if its just this motherboard can't do anything above 3600. I see on EVGA QVL that there are hardly any 2x16 kits and if there are they are only 3600Mhz.

Tell me I am not boned and there are tricks to this. I have 0 experience with high speed ram.

Most CPUs won't run stable past DDR4-4000. Count that only the best chips will reach DDR4-4200 and only with 8GB modules. My 7900X goes up to DDR4-4100 but can't even boot at 4200. My 7800X runs with memory at 4200 and maybe 4266 but I wasn't testing stability. The optimal for X299 is DDR4-3600 and tight timings as the quad-channel gives high bandwidth but has problems with latency. You can probably make better ICs run at CL13-13-13 or CL14-14-14 (depends on the motherboard and signal quality). For many world records in benchmarking, were used 3600 CL13-13-13 settings.

I have 4x32GB Ballistix RAM on ASRock X299 Creator mobo, and they run at XMP DDR4-3600 CL16-18-18 so as you see, DDR4-3600 seems the best spot for this platform also for higher capacity RAM.
About the same results are on EVGA X299 Dark with my processors and it supposed to overclock better than X299 Micro.

Most CPUs won't run stable past DDR4-4000. Count that only the best chips will reach DDR4-4200 and only with 8GB modules. My 7900X goes up to DDR4-4100 but can't even boot at 4200. My 7800X runs with memory at 4200 and maybe 4266 but I wasn't testing stability. The optimal for X299 is DDR4-3600 and tight timings as the quad-channel gives high bandwidth but has problems with latency. You can probably make better ICs run at CL13-13-13 or CL14-14-14 (depends on the motherboard and signal quality). For many world records in benchmarking, were used 3600 CL13-13-13 settings.

I have 4x32GB Ballistix RAM on ASRock X299 Creator mobo, and they run at XMP DDR4-3600 CL16-18-18 so as you see, DDR4-3600 seems the best spot for this platform also for higher capacity RAM.
About the same results are on EVGA X299 Dark with my processors and it supposed to overclock better than X299 Micro.

Well, that kind of sucks.

So, the way it sounds, my options are

a) Keep this ram, try to get the most speed/stability/tightest timings it will give me and live with it. It would probably be no worse than other ram.

b) Put my old Oloy ram in, and run it at XMP of 3200 and live with it.

c) Send this new RAM back and buy a 4x8 kit of some 3600 ram that is supposed to be qvl certified, overclock as much as it will and live with that.

I guess, I will have to do some testing to see if I can get a stable 3600 ram with decent timings. Either way, this may just be a wasted effort.

Thank you for the answer, but it sounds expecting 4266 on any kit with an average motherboard and average CPU probably isn't realistic.

This is a nice RAM but I guess you have 2x16GB while optimal would be 4x8GB or 4x16GB.
3800 16-16-16 seems good and possible on most CPUs but for that, the best is to have Samsung B. You can also take a look at Ballistix / Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16-18-18 kits which aren't expensive but are using Micron IC so can't run at much tighter timings than in XMP.

Thank you for the answer, but it sounds expecting 4266 on any kit with an average motherboard and average CPU probably isn't realistic.
That platform just can't run it 24/7. If you want high memory speeds, go Intel Z490/Z590 and Comet/Rocket Lake CPUs. YOu can run 4K+ there......on dual channel....or modern AMD can do it to (not at 1:1, just like Rocket Lake).

That said, as fun as it is to tweak, the gains are so minimal from optimal to tweaked and not worth the(my) time. I've run DDR4 3600 CL16 via XMP in X299 for the last few years... never felt like I was missing anything going to 38/40000 or tweaking timings down.

Long gone are my days tweaking for the 'bot. Changes need to make a noticeable difference these days. :chair::-/

This is a nice RAM but I guess you have 2x16GB while optimal would be 4x8GB or 4x16GB.
3800 16-16-16 seems good and possible on most CPUs but for that, the best is to have Samsung B. You can also take a look at Ballistix / Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16-18-18 kits which aren't expensive but are using Micron IC so can't run at much tighter timings than in XMP.

Well, this is Samsung B. Lummi recommended this kit, but he has a different motherboard (Kingpin). I will see if I can get to 3800 16-16-16 or some variant of that.

I think I went into this without enough information of what to expect. I also only futzed around with it for a couple of hours. My frustration told me to set it on auto and take a break. Then ask questions. Currently its running auto at 1064 (2133) and 15-15-15. I will spend some more time on it, I think I can get at least 3600 out of it, but timings will be higher. I need more information on HOW to properly overclock ram, but reading some posts, its all over the place. It is more a case of trial and error.

A64 Ram Profile.PNG

Last edited:
3600 16-16-16 1.35-1.40V should work at auto voltages and that I recommend trying.
3800 depends on some factors may work at the same timings and maybe 1.40-1.45V. My 4x8GB SODIMM designed for X299 ITX mobo have 3800 CL18-19-19 1.35V XMP and it runs with everything else at auto. This is also Samsung B.
4000 on X299 in most cases causes stability issues and at least on X299 have to relax some more timings to make it work. Also, input voltage and SA have to be higher (this highly depends on the CPU so it's hard to recommend voltages)

Anyway, as ED said, 3600 is pretty much the best for everything, also benching as you can tighten timings some more and get a good balance between memory bandwidth and latency.

3600 16-16-16 1.35-1.40V should work at auto voltages and that I recommend trying.
3800 depends on some factors may work at the same timings and maybe 1.40-1.45V. My 4x8GB SODIMM designed for X299 ITX mobo have 3800 CL18-19-19 1.35V XMP and it runs with everything else at auto. This is also Samsung B.
4000 on X299 in most cases causes stability issues and at least on X299 have to relax some more timings to make it work. Also, input voltage and SA have to be higher (this highly depends on the CPU so it's hard to recommend voltages)

Anyway, as ED said, 3600 is pretty much the best for everything, also benching as you can tighten timings some more and get a good balance between memory bandwidth and latency.

Its a shame that these are rated at these speeds when not every computer can run them at these speeds.

The manufacturer probably sees a lot of unnecessary RMAs/Complaints regarding people not being able to achieve these speeds.

They should label them like video cards.

Example: RIPJAW V 3600-OC - 17-19-19-38 (16-16-16-35) results may vary by computer.

They should sell them at what almost all computers could run them at, then let the end users rate them like they do B-die quality stuff.

I watched Lummi's video and the way he talked about them as "easy" I thought I was guaranteed a 4400-4800 Mhz speed.

edit: the OC is for overclocker's edition

But the sticks do work at their rated speeds, just on specific platforms.

This is why QVL lists exist. While they're not The Gospel, looking at the mobo's QVL list you get an idea of where they crap out. Remember, the chipset, sticks/IC, and the CPU IMC all need to play nice.

But the sticks do work at their rated speeds, just on specific platforms.

This is why QVL lists exist. While they're not The Gospel, looking at the mobo's QVL list you get an idea of where they crap out. Remember, the chipset, sticks/IC, and the CPU IMC all need to play nice.[/QUOTE

I realize that ED, and these are not on my QVL. I didn't realize until after I purchased though (like I said, I have never had high speed ram). In this case, I am referring to how they are advertised. The ram itself does not tell you it's compatibility although it will work on certain systems, just not at its full capacity. Instead, you have to look on your motherboard manufacturer's website for compatibility. There is also the caveat that not all CPUs can run it, and there are a lot of other factors like how many sticks you have to run and even specifically the slots. DDR4 has been around for quite some time. By now there should be a better standardization than there is.

Edit:^^^^ I just realized I restated exactly what you just said.

But since I am a RAM newb, I will just voice my grievances but defer the real answers to the professionals. I have been working with computers for a long time, I have never had a ram compatibility problem until now, so I am just learning. Its a shame that someone new to the game might also get discouraged, or even worse, think it was something broken.

Re: the qvl, I just meant the highest rated sticks that work (read: they tested). You'll see a trend of less capacity is more speed and where they top out (they tested). Plenty of kits work just fine if not in the qvl (tested) as you know. :)

My Results @4000Mhz, YAY!!!

For the record. I had to start on Manual and set everything to Auto. I was able to boot in at 3600, then at 3800, then at 4000, but not any higher. Then I had to start tweaking some voltages for stability. Now I know what my basic settings are. I am not done, I just wanted to share some SS after I watched a lot of tutorials.

4000 Mhz 18-18-18-44-2T.PNG

Im curious if you set your board to default save and exit go back in and set your ram to 3200 and enter all of these timings if it would run.. maybe try up to 1.45v

1.PNG

But instead of 357-265-163 try 312-192-132

I don't know if it would work but it might..

Im curious if you set your board to default save and exit go back in and set your ram to 3200 and enter all of these timings if it would run.. maybe try up to 1.45v

View attachment 213571

But instead of 357-265-163 try 312-192-132

I don't know if it would work but it might..

3200 special.PNG

I was able to put in all but the 192 and 132.

3200 special A64.PNG

I am not really sure what CCDL and RFC2 relate to in the EVGA Bios. The Letter descriptions aren't the same.

Last edited:
Sweet well at least you know itll go that low.. Its crazy that it didnt do anything for your latency. I wish I had an Intel setup to play with :(

Sweet well at least you know itll go that low.. Its crazy that it didnt do anything for your latency. I wish I had an Intel setup to play with :(

Yeah, I really appreciate the suggestion. Since I have really never dealt with RAM speed before, this is again another lesson.

In this case, it appears speed makes a substantial difference, but so does cpu overclock. Also reading around, RAM is a lot harder to get right because of all of the settings having to work together, (some of them mathematically)????

Yeah, I really appreciate the suggestion. Since I have really never dealt with RAM speed before, this is again another lesson.

In this case, it appears speed makes a substantial difference, but so does cpu overclock. Also reading around, RAM is a lot harder to get right because of all of the settings having to work together, (some of them mathematically)????

Its all good man, I am surprised I was able to help even a little. I was a total DDR4 noob just a couple of months ago, so I am learning too. It can get pretty in depth.. I try to keep it simple.. but you know..

I had read somewhere that the Uncore should be 2x the DRAM Frequency. I remember that also being the NB frequency as well. I started OCing the Uncore (Mesh) to what is considered acceptable, for me 33. I first had to make that relationship. Watching Buildzoid's videos really help as he also has a EVGA Micro. He goes through all of the voltages and settings. I am only 1/2 way through.

So far, this is where I am at.
4000 Mhz 16-18-18-38-748-2T.PNG

Back