• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help identifying the +12vB on a dual rail Dell n375p-00.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Isop

Registered
Yellow is 12v1 and "typically" 12v2 is yellow with some sort of stripe. However, such does not exist on this psu. On the 24pin it looks as though white is in the 12v place - not yellow. Though I thought white was -5v? Some terminals have yellow - the non 24pin. Though there are more white (7) than yellow (5). Would this be normal if the amperage is the same from both rails - 18a - assuming white is indeed a 12v rail?

Sorry, looks like a friggen math problem lol. Basically, has white ever been used for a 12v rail, and if the amperage's are the same across either rail, would different wire counts matter? Any helps would be great, especially if someone has hands on experience with this particular psu. TIA peeps.

Oh, I'm modding it to be the psu for my rc battery chargers - why it's so important to get the 12v identified correctly. I could snag up a single rail, but I kinda want to figure this out.

Do you have a multimeter to test the voltages? They could use absolutely anything for the wire colors.

Dell isn't necessarily using the proper ATX specification colors or motherboard pinout.
For a RC car battery charger you can use a multimeter to find all the +12V wires and connect them together to make a single rail, and then connect the charger to that.

Don't confuse the -12V rail for a +12V though! That'd be fatal to the unit.

Based on a similar unit I have taken apart, white is indeed one of the 12V rails and yellow is the other. But the rails are only separated by a little inductance, which is great for attenuating interference, but in your application, it's not going to make a difference.

Back