• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help in Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

step125

Hi I'm very new to overclocking & I would like some help from you experienced overclockers. Thanks in advance.
My spec is:
CPU e6850 with Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Mobo Gigabyte GA-p35-ds4
RAM Kingston DDR2-1066MHz 4GB
5-5-5-15 voltage 2.2v
Display 8800GTX
Power CoolerMaster 650W
OS XP Home SP2 (32-bit)
My system runs well upto 3.66 GHz. The OCCT test gives CPU temp of 58-63 degrees C (room temp is 32 degrees) & 1.34-1.36 vCore. When I try 3.70 GHz or above, the screen just go blank & the system reboot. The BIOS settings at this time is:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) disabled
CPU EIST Function disabled
Robust Graphics Booster Auto
CPU Clock Ratio 9x
CPU Freq 3.70 GHz(412x9)
CPU Host Clock Control enabled
CPU Host Freq 412 MHz
PCI Express Freq 100 MHz
CIA2 disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 2.00
Memory Freq (MHz) 800 824
System Voltage Control Manual
DDR2 Overvoltage Control Normal
PCI-E Overvoltage Control Normal
FSB Overvoltage Control Normal
(G)MCH Overvoltage Control Normal
Loadline Calibration Auto
CPU Votage Control 1.4000v
Normal CPU vCore 1.3125v

So did I miss anything in the BIOS settings, do I have to change the voltage of the RAM? My target is to overclock to 3.80 GHz. Many thanks.

Stephen

For a 3.8GHz clock you'll probably need in the neighborhood of 1.5V Vcore. And at a FSB of 422MHz, you may need to bump MCH OverVoltage Control (vNB) and FSB OverVoltage Control (VTT). Also without knowing the exact model of Kingston you have, it's impossible to recommend the correct DRAM voltage. If you have Easy Tune installed, post all of the current voltages shown under the Voltages tab. Also note the Vcore as shown by CPU-Z while running Prime at a stable 3.66GHz clock.

Dude, personally I would, make the fsb 400, set the volts as low as I can and put the multiplier on 9. Just to ask a simple question, you aren't using auto volt are you?!.(Would help to see more volts, as redduc900 said)

His RAM is KINGSTON HYPER-X(Am I right or what?) really sucky RAM, my old pair didn't reach 1000mhz, the stock volts are 2.2v for that ram.

Your ram could also restrict the oc'ing a due to its high voltage.

Also, can't you enable EIST? It makes the cpu set volts and clocks lower when it isn't necessary, thus safes power and also runs cooler, make sure its stable though. To test when idle, close all unnecessary programs and windows, change you power settings to, no screensavers, no sleep, no hdd turnoff, processor max 100%, processor min 5%, and if you have vista or win7 disable all the animated crap and things like aerothemes(also helps with 2d graphic performance). Then leave the pc overnight, if its still on in the morning, then it can run at idle smoothly. EIST can also affect max load, but you should test that IN ANYWAYS.

Hope to hear from you again man.

Back